Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
What sore of battery life are people seeing with TPMS? It used to be about 6 - 7 years.

My 981 S turns 9 years old in June. I need to replace my tires and wondering if I should get new TPMS sensors installed at the same time. First time I fired up the Boxster (yesterday), everything looked ship shape. It sounded and felt like I'd just turned it off the day before. All reading looked normal.
I would install new TPMS sensors with the tires.
9 years is certainly a good run for them.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Thanks Pedro.

I've been doing a bit of research and it appears as if Porsche might HUF sensors. I recall asking a few years ago and Porsche prices were something like $150 EACH. Online there are sensors by HUF and Titan for about $160 per SET. Any experience with either of these brands?
Seems an inelegant solution to save a few bucks, but let us know how it works out for you.

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
From my research it looks like this is the one you need. But prefer Pedro comments.
[www.ebay.com]
Gary in SoFL
Seems an inelegant solution to save a few bucks, but let us know how it works out for you.

Now, that is powerful talk, coming, as it does, from the person who, single-handedly, has taken boorishness to a whole new level.

Cheers.
Most of the aftermarket TPMS parts are pretty much the same.
The important thing is the operating frequency 433 MHz.3
I've used the HUF and really have had no issues.
Happy Porsche'ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Guenter---When you finish, please provide your results:
Make/model of TPMS and Tires selected. I am assuming your going to purchase both and provide them to an installer.
Costs:
TPMS--$
Tires----$$
Install--$
Also, it is my understanding that no special program needs to be done (PWIS) and the car will learn about the new TPMS after a short drive.

If it were me (2016 Boxster S), I would purchase the TPMS devices on the web site you are looking at and the tires from Tire Rack.
Interested in your decision and process.
Jerry
Busy with a few things, but have now done some investigating and will give a breakdown of costs when done.
No problem-- I know you will do a good parts selection and a professional install--enjoy the process.
OK. as promised, here are the results after getting new tires and sensors installed.

This information is probably of most use to Canadian members.

The first thing I checked out was Tire Rack, using the link at the top of this website and checked out pricing for Pirelli and Michelin Tires. Then I checked out a number of tire shops and the Porsche dealership.
I also tried to check pricing for TPMS sensors on [www.titantpms.com] but their website is not secure, so couldn't go to checkout with any of my browsers. Ended up finding the same sensors on [www.oewheelsllc.com]

Last week, when I went to make an appointment it seemed that most shops could not get Pirellis. So I ended up going with Michelin Pilot Sports 4S. So I'll just give comparisons for those.
My tires are Front 235/35/ ZR20 and Rear 265/35/ ZR20

Tire Rack
Front $359 each, Rear $418 each = $1554 + $524 shipping, import, taxes = $2078 USD with exchange rate = $2760 CDN
+sensors through OEWheels about $320 CDN with shipping, import duties and exchange rate
Total $3080 CDN.
and would still have to have pay to have them mounted and balanced as Tire Rack does not have any recommended installers in Canadian

Porsche Dealer Canadian dollars
Front $489 each, Rear $569 each, install 4 tires $259 = $2375 + tax $308+ = $2683 CDN
+ sensors $250 each includes installation = $1130 including tax
Total $3813 CDN (They did say that they would install sensors that I supplied, but there would not be any guarantee if there was a problem with the sensors)

Braidan Tire advertises in Provinz - UCR PCA club magazine.
Front $534, Rear $603 = $2274 (includes installation) + tax $296 = 2570 + OE HUF sensors $100 each includes installation = $452 including tax
Total = $3022 CDN
Currently there's also a $70 rebate from Michelin Canada when you buy a set of 4 tires
Total = $2952 CDN
This is the option I went with. They also have a lot of Porsche experience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2022 11:37AM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
Thanks Guenter,

Was Pirelli your first choice? It was available at Tire Rack?

How many miles are on the tires you are replacing?

What was the date on the TPMS sensors?

Looks like you did a good job--doesn't surprise me.

I assume Pirelli tires are the ones your are replacing? How about a comparison with the Michelin after about 1000 miles.

Jerry
My first set lasted 8 years and got the new one from OE Wheels. They were Huff's and so far still working after 8 years.
In the case of my 2010 VW Passat they are still running after 12 years, go figure!
OE sensors are coming up on 10 years old and still functioning. I can understand replacing them when replacing tires at this point, however.
... [www.titantpms.com]

Pedro Bonilla

That's actually the same site I was looking at.

They have 2 different sets listed for the Boxster. They look a bit different, but both have the same description (except for some MY differences. Would either one work?

UPC# - 9492995 for 2006 - 2016 Boxster
[www.titantpms.com]

UPC# - 9507217 for 2008 - 2015 Boxster
[www.titantpms.com]
... that one is made by Titan ($149) the second is made bu HUF ($169), otherwise they're compatible.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

One tire shop I spoke to about installing tires and sensors said that the HUF sensors [www.titantpms.com] are older models and could be a few (3 - 5?) years old which would reduce the service life. Do you recall how long ago some of these sensors you used where produced? Also, they told me that these sensors need to be programmed to the car with a tool. Newer ones are just programmed through the car's Multi-function Display.

They also said if I supplied them with these sensors, they would do it free of charge when installing new tires, but would not be able to give me a guarantee if one or more didn't work. (Which I think would only be fair.)
The date of manufacturing is stamped on the sensors.
I guess when you order you could ask the vendor what is the date on your sensors.
All sensors transmit a signal in 433 mHz.
Most of the time the car picks up the new sensors automatically after 10-30 miles of driving, but every now and then it won't.
In that case the TPMS must be "kick-started" with the PIWIS.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Thanks Pedro. That information helps.
Thanks to everyone's input. Much appreciated. As usual, lots of good information from our members.
Guenther,

next time you need tires, check out either PMC or Quattro tire out of quebec.... I've been very happy with them, and then get them installed locally...

IIRC, I'm near you in Waterloo region.

I'm running Kumho PS31's currently on the road (now discontinued), and have a set of Toyo R1R's I believe for the track.... Though I haven't been bit by the track bug lately.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login