Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Hi guys, my 986 is coming out of hibernation next week. It’s going for the 60k service. On top of the scheduled maintenance, any suggestions as to what should looked at, checked over or replaced at the same time?
Appreciate your help.

01 986
AOS & Coolant tank for sure (if they've not already been done). Just did both last year on my 01 986S. Tank was already leaking under pressure, and figured AOS was only a matter of time.

I did them both myself: AOS was pretty simple provided you have the spring clamp removal tool extender. Coolant tank was a PITA despite studying lots of videos. Probably could do in 1/3 of the time now.

Curious what others recommend for 20 year old cars... water pump? coolant change?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2022 02:29PM by jlegelis. (view changes)
If you are going to replace the coolant and tank you might as well do the water pump. They start going bad between 60-70K.
Yes the AOS was on my list. The car has run flawlessly for 20 years. Routine service and an over the top number of oil changes. Runs better than new. My indie is great and I just wanted to make sure everything was covered off at this service.
Without a doubt
Boxsterra - 1 year ago
I would take tension off the serpentine belt and check the water pump bearing for play. It takes just a minute and is super easy to do. I agree with Carlos that at 60k, this may very well need attention.
Are we talking 60K km or miles?

My 01 Boxster S is almost at 100K miles (155600 km).... I replaced a faulty AOS in 2013 at about 100K km...

Still on the same coolant tank - probably original.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login