Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
I have an '01 S and it has developed a leak. It is coming from the drivers side front and I thought it might be coolant but when I felt it, it felt oily. Is oil pumped to the front of the car? I would not think so but... I am mistaken about the oily feel? I am hoping it is from the radaitor and just a loose hose or something... It is not a large leak, maybe a teaspoon, and it seems to only leak when the car is on. I will take a look at it this weekend.

Thanks
What colour is the liquid?
which is greenish and oily
PENTOSIN brand CHF 11S power steering fluid. This is the fluid that came w/Wolfi from the factory & he's a 97 Boxster. This fluid is clear, not colored & it is the factory recommended fluid. [www.amazon.com]

Don't know whether the OP has solved his problem yet, but during the winter of 21/22, I experienced the same type of leak as described & it turned out to be a failed power steering line connector in the high pressure feed to the steering rack. Check this link for a photo. There are two line connectors (high pressure feed & low pressure return), the two connectors are not the same & they each have their own part #, & they are co-located on the driver's side of the frame rail @ the front of the car. Here a link to the part I needed to replace: [www.pelicanparts.com]

And here's a link to a photo of the location of the two line connectors:[forums.pelicanparts.com]

JB/SE SoDak
1997 986 - Wolfi
Yankton, SD

"Wisdom is the most perfect knowledge of the most important truths in the right order of emphasis, accompanied by a total, permanent disposition to live accordingly.

-- Br. Francis Maluf, M.I.C.M.

"(School is to be a factory) in which raw products, children, are to be shaped and formed into finished products . . .(m)anufactured like nails, and the specifications for manufacturing will come from government and industry."

-- Elwood P. Cubberley, Dean of School of Education, Stanford University, 1905

"The creatures that want to live a life of their own, we call wild. If wild, then no matter how harmless, we treat them as outlaws, and those of us who are 'specially well brought up shoot them for fun."

-- Clarence Day, This Simian World

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2023 09:37AM by John Brown of SE SoDak. (view changes)
I assure you that both are green.

CHF 11S

CHF 202

Credit (Aaron Sorgius): [www.youtube.com]
I stand corrected on the color. Changed the manual transmission fluid at the same time & believe that stuff was clear.

Whatever became of the leak?

JB/SE SoDak
1997 986 - Wolfi
Yankton, SD

"Wisdom is the most perfect knowledge of the most important truths in the right order of emphasis, accompanied by a total, permanent disposition to live accordingly.

"(School is to be a factory) in which raw products, children, are to be shaped and formed into finished products . . .(m)anufactured like nails, and the specifications for manufacturing will come from government and industry."

"The creatures that want to live a life of their own, we call wild. If wild, then no matter how harmless, we treat them as outlaws, and those of us who are 'specially well brought up shoot them for fun."

I have not figured it out yet, but think I might have. It was goldish in color and I think it is the coolant. I noticed the coolant was low and I filled it up, and I just checked again and it is low. So I am guessing it is the coolant. It is not coming out a lot and it seemed to leak only when I used the AC. Sorry I got preoccupied with something. I will let you all know when I know. Thanks for the help.
.... it can be highlighter yellow, blue, green, orange, even pink but I've never seen gold.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
The only thing I can think of that could possibly be described as "gold" would be rust. But a picture is worth 1000 words.
Coolant is somewhat slippery but not oily.
It does, however, have a peculiar odor (sweet).

As Boxsterra says, power steering oil goes to the steering rack, up front between the front wheels.
Pull the front tires off and check behind the brake rotor for any signs of fluid. There should be none.

Finally brake fluid is kind of oily and is present at each corner of the car.
Check the calipers for leaks.

Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Good points, Pedro. Michael, take a close look @ your coolant reservoir in the back trunk. It's plastic & translucent. What color is the coolant in the tank & what color is the coolant you have been adding?

JB/SE SoDak
1997 986 - Wolfi
Yankton, SD

i'm not sure, just asking.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
There are no oil coolers in any of the water-cooled Porsches (from the factory).
There is a heat transfer unit (coolant-to-oil) which some call an oil cooler, but it's mostly an oil warmer for when the car is cold.
The front radiator in the S's and Tiptronics is a standard coolant radiator.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro]

Pedro Bonilla

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
JB/SE SoDak
1997 986 - Wolfi
Yankton, SD

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login