Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Great weekend, terrible morning for the boxster
kosiba - Monday, 9 April, 2012, at 9:21:51 am
Hi All-

Had a great weekend with the car- polished and waxed it, cleaned out the interior, made it all shiny. Looks awesome. 2000 Bxster S, 80K miles.

I start the car this morning and am backing the car out, and the check engine light starts flashing. It took me a sec to realize, and I pull it back into the garage. By the time I am back in, the light is no longer flashing.

When I get home, do I tow it to the dealer? Can I check it for codes? If it is not flashing, is it now drivable?

Teriffied,

Ric in MD.
Definitely read the codes
Boxsterra - Monday, 9 April, 2012, at 9:45:55 am
Was it a moist morning? Sometimes cracked ignition coils can cause misfires, resulting in a flashing CEL. But the codes will tell you.

If the CEL is not flashing the car is ok to drive. However, depending on the problem, the problem may recur and then you will have to stop driving the car wherever you are. If you don't have a reader, most auto parts shops will read the code for free.
Re: Great weekend, terrible morning for the boxster
kosiba - Monday, 9 April, 2012, at 2:20:09 pm
Checked the code and it is p0305. Guesses? Dare I drive it?
"Cylinder 5 Misfire"
Leor ('09S, North of Boston) - Monday, 9 April, 2012, at 2:34:31 pm
[www.obd-codes.com]

I'm not qualified to advise whether or not it is safe to drive. I guess it all depends on whether you're willing to deal with getting it towed if the problem escalates while you're out and about.
dghii - Monday, 9 April, 2012, at 3:30:37 pm
Ah, this is where we all get worried due to our engine's propensity to self destruct!

Given the data point you already have, why not swap the coil with the one next to it? You can examine the coil for any physical sign of damage (unlikely) and then drive your car to see if you get another 'check engine' at all and if you do, does it end up being a P30X.

BTW, one day a few months ago, I got my first check engine light since purchasing the car in 2008 while starting the car to leave work and go to lunch. I fretted and fretted during lunch about what it could be. When I started the car to return to work...no light! It has not come back on since.

I now have a code reader as I have replaced all 8 coils on my wife's 2006 Explorer over the last year.

Good luck!

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
blazon - Monday, 9 April, 2012, at 6:55:01 pm
still confused by conflicting versions of what to do/not to do if one of the 'EPA type oxygen' codes shows up(with solid CEL), is cleared, then recurs every, say, 250 miles...i've been through this cycle now 3 times in 500 miles and guilt is now present...

is this the height of irresponsibility/stupid or, as others have said, 'on those kind of codes, dear boy, wipe clean and keep on trucking...old Joe has his come on every week for a year'...then what happened?

sound too good to be true, of course it must be...but where's the cut off point? the first time it shows up, is cleaned, and recurs? or what?

specifically...00 Base, 46k...p0455...would be most grateful for any input, preferably repetitive!
Leor is right. P0305 is misfire in Cylinder 5
Boxsterra - Monday, 9 April, 2012, at 10:50:19 pm
Problem is likely caused by (in decreasing order of likelihood):
1) Ignition coil
2) Spark plug
3) Fuel injector

I would get a replacement ignition coil (about $45) and just replace the coil on cylinder 5.

The other code you mentioned -- P0455 - Fuel Tank Ventilation System (Major Leak) - Below Limit -- is usually caused by the gas cap not being on tight enough. Turn it until it clicks.

Regarding whether or not it's safe to drive. If there is any moisture, cracked coils will act up. The problem will get progressively worse over time. Misfires are very bad for the engine.
IIRC, when my '03S was about 5 years old (and ~60K miles), my indie mechanic replaced all of the ignition coils because he detected issues with several of them (none of which had led to any CEL activity yet).

After that service, I gained about 3 MPG!
kosiba - Thursday, 12 April, 2012, at 3:16:52 pm
How hard are ignition coils to replace? Something I could do myself? Indy guy? or dealer?
Here are the instructions for DIY ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 12 April, 2012, at 6:04:15 pm
... [pedrosgarage.com]

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Here are the instructions for DIY ...
kosiba - Thursday, 12 April, 2012, at 10:30:17 pm
Guys- thanks fir all of the help. This board is a terrific resource!

Ric
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login