Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Yes, yes, its a track video, but you will rarely see video like this. ACNJ "Twilight" Pocono North Course, Demo ride with Student (someone else' student) - mostly focusing on some driving skills we discussed earlier - smoothness, consistency, quiet steering, slow-in / fast out - and of course dealing with the conditions.

Fun night. I ran one of the "ring taxis" - and was out for at least a few laps in every single run group.

ok, notice anything different about this one?

[youtu.be]

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
No one's running anywhere near 10/10ths.

I truly hate arm restraints. Can't signal (daylight), very little mobility. Its a trade-off - not 100% safer IMO.

G

Grant

RE: Can't signal... It's even harder passing someone in not only for seeing their point by but more importantly for safety. On more than one occasion I've seen a spin b/c pointer jerked wheel either giving or whilst pulling arm back down from point by. Spotting a point from someone in a Boxster or S2K is relatively easy compared to say a Radical...
... which are available to the topless drivers.
Here in Gold Coast Region when we have a topless car, arm restraints are mandatory, but we allow those drivers to point-by using their turn signals.
Obviously that is discussed at the driver's meeting so everyone knows which drivers will be using it and there are no surprises.
Also, if the car has a roll cage and the roll cage has a net on top, then arm restraints aren't mandatory.
Finally, if a Boxster has the factory aluminum top, arm restraints aren't mandatory.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Grant

Arm restraints are a DE minimum requirement when running top down w/ PCA, no?

Relative to your comment about not being able to easily signal... If you think it's hard/unsafe signalling in arm restraints, it's even harder passing someone wearing them because:
  • tough seeing point by being given
  • pucker factor for "pointee" as more than once I've seen pointer spin b/c they jerked wheel either giving or whilst pulling arm back down from point by

If you think spotting a point from someone in a Boxster or S2K is tough, you ought to try seeing when given by someone in a Radical or similar.

Clearer?
Arm restraints are a DE minimum requirement when running top down w/ PCA, no?

yes, they are. Neither of those were PCA events.
to clarify what pedro wrote below (above, i never figure out where it gets placed...) - for HPDE (not club racing) Boxsters or any other convertible car run -- and without arm restraints - with the soft top up; one need not have the hard top. Some tracks also require a roll bar or extensions; others do not. They are required at VIR, LRP and NJMP for 986s but not for 987s or 981s. Add-on bars are similarly required for 911 cabrios since the pyrotechnic roll bars are not permanently deployed nor visible until all goes upside-down. These differences are determined by a) track policy and b) state police laws. Pocono, by the way is governed under PA law ( duh) and is not a restrictive as other tracks. Ditto WGI. As the tech chair for NNJR and the Ax chair for NNJR i've had the displeasure of learning these ins and outs :-)

Relative to your comment about not being able to easily signal... If you think it's hard/unsafe signalling in arm restraints, it's even harder passing someone wearing them because:

tough seeing point by being given
pucker factor for "pointee" as more than once I've seen pointer spin b/c they jerked wheel either giving or whilst pulling arm back down from point by

Agree, and at least as i see it, that's another reason that the PCA rule may not be all that smart. There are trade offs to the use of restraints and overall i don't like them, t lest for non-racing events.

Further, at very "learning oriented" events such as those, its essential that i have my hands free in both seats to instruct.
(old joke: how do you gag Grant? "tie his hands")

If you think spotting a point from someone in a Boxster or S2K is tough, you ought to try seeing when given by someone in a Radical or similar.

BTDT. Agree. And i don't much like using directional signals for a host of reasons i don't have time to type right now!

Grant

Grant

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2015 04:45PM by grant. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login