Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Chris Harris's take on the Boxster

[www.youtube.com]

Walter Röhrl takes the Boxster for a spin.

[www.youtube.com]
Sweet! *NM*
Motobob - Wednesday, 14 March, 2012, at 7:59:30 pm
If/when our IMS's fail and our engines explode, we'll be able to pick up an ENTIRE used 986/987 for next to nothing, now that it's been so thoroughly superceded by the 981.

So, why don't I feel all happy about that... sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2012 08:07PM by Roger987. (view changes)
I've seen a video of Chris Harris reviewing the 991 and enjoy his commentary and driving style. He's the second reviewer to say the Boxster's e-steering is better than the 991's. Aside all the configuration variables, perhaps the reviews have caused Porsche to tweak it and the result is showing up in these newer reviews. Then again, it might be attributable to tire fitment... although it looks like Pirellis are used with the 20 inch wheels, which I think are standard for the 991, whereas the 981 S with 19s gets Goodyears. Early in the video there's a lot of rear tire smoking which made me wonder if the car had PTV. He mentions later that it doesn't. As far as what he said about PSM, I believe at least one of its devices remains active event in the Sport Plus (?) mode. A nice thing to know is that the intakes are on both sides now. What nobody, including Porsche seems to mention is that the rear suspension is a multilink like the 911. The only place I've seen it so far is in a detailed dealer document. He makes an interesting comment about the reduced feel on wet roads, although the mu-split steering technology might mitigate whatever's lost. I still don't get this whole "man's car" thing when it comes to Boxsters. To me the car is gender neutral, and let's face it: this board is populated by pretty much all guys.
Walter Röhrl mentions the lack of tailspin which might be attributable to his car having PTV. Also, summer or not, the road surface had to be quite cold and I wonder if the car was equipped with what will become the approved winter tires.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2012 08:13PM by Laz. (view changes)
Well, let's not get ahead of ourselves...
Roger987 - Wednesday, 14 March, 2012, at 8:53:08 pm
It's a bit like the old joke:

"Hey, Doc, will I be able to play the piano after my arm surgery?"
"Why, certainly you will".
"That's great, Doc, because it's something I've always wanted to do". grinning smiley
And a "variation on a theme:"
Laz - Wednesday, 14 March, 2012, at 9:07:39 pm
That's better ! *NM*
Roger987 - Wednesday, 14 March, 2012, at 10:19:12 pm
great review !!
silverbox03 - Wednesday, 14 March, 2012, at 9:38:55 pm
I gotta respect this Harris guy for some nice controlled drifting and his interpretation of this car, believable, since this is simply "more" of what the previous Box was, eg. "balance" ," the perfect sports car"," what more car do you need?", etc.
Those who apply gender to certain cars, especially relevant very good cars, are idiots who must have some self-image issues.
991? Now consider, ooh yeah, I want a more expensive car that is harder to drive fast !
Re: great review !!
frogster - Thursday, 15 March, 2012, at 12:34:28 am
silverbox03
Those who apply gender to certain cars, especially relevant very good cars, are idiots who must have some self-image issues.

anecdote: my wife's niece and a female friend of hers, both 18, were visiting us in switzerland. took them to the geneva car show, had vip passes to the porsche booth, bar. saw the CGT which was in a private room. they were impressed. they didn't know we had a boxster as they had not been in our garage. so i pointed at the boxster and asked "what do you think about that car?" they both replied "oh, that's a girl's car." eye rolling smiley

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
they were not into cars and live in sweden where you rarely see high-end cars, except for maybe in stockholm. i doubt they had ever even seen a boxster before let alone hear or read comments like that of it being a chick's car. i believe it was truly a heart-felt emotion.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
the 981 is fantastic!
and no rear wheel hop smiling smiley
Michael SYS Driver - Friday, 16 March, 2012, at 2:40:36 am
The car looks great, now I just need to get it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login