Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Painting question
Ollie - Thursday, 15 March, 2012, at 7:33:22 pm
98 Artic Silver Metallic

I noticed that if I were to buy a "New" part from Porsche it comes primed in "WHITE"

Should white be the primer color I choose? or would someone painting a new part put another primer color over the white before paint

I am fixing a door but not real sure what to do for primer...
Re: Painting question
Eric (Plug Guy) - Thursday, 15 March, 2012, at 7:45:38 pm
Most of the pre-primed parts we see from Porsche are gray primer....but white or gray should not be an issue. If it's a good part, and in decent condition, prep and prime with gray or white, and go from there. The bigger issue is in the finish work.
Ollie - Thursday, 15 March, 2012, at 8:14:58 pm
Thanks- agree prep is the key to any good repair
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Friday, 16 March, 2012, at 8:49:27 am
There just gotta be AS doors in the wrecking years that might make the job easier. I know I put two there.
Ollie - Friday, 16 March, 2012, at 12:09:41 pm
I found severaL doors but everyone of them needed work/paint anyways. So i fgured what the hell, it's got 170K miles on it fix it myself
a hard color to match with existing panels.

The color comes from the metal particles in the paint, from their size, shape and orientation.

For the size and shape buying the right paint: Standox, Spies-Hecker, or Glasurit; ensures you get paint with the same size/shape particles as the paint applied at the factory had.

Then applying the paint under the proper conditions plays a role in the orientation of the particles so the color of the newly painted panels matches that of the original panels.

Even so, arctic silver paint generally requires adjacent panels be sprayed some to blend the paint so there's no noticeable differences in paint of adjacent panels.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
You are correct- the silver metallic is a real bitch to paint. I am finished, first time with metallic paint. Came out fairly good, but hey, with 175K on her and all the autocross/track time she see's (ie Track Mule)
Seal Grey was impossible to spot touch with a brush. As Marc indicated, the lay of the crystals is the issue. I found I had to mix in a drop of regular silver, and even at that had to touch up the same spot several times until I could get the brightness to match from only the one most anticipated angle of view. Just this issue is one of the reasons I've always had reservations about metallics, and wish Porsche offered a wider range of flats without having to order a "special." Agate Grey, while darker than what I'd like, ought to be easier to work with.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2012 07:48PM by Laz. (view changes)
Agree 100%- had this been 3/4 yrs ago I would never have attempted this- but car getting old and driven VERY hard so...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login