Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Trunk lid on my 2001 wont stay up
Iwas There (Toronto) - Thursday, 5 July, 2012, at 11:24:25 am
Not sure what happened. We have been having very hot weather and suddenly the trunk lid will not stay up. Any ideas how to fix?
Re: Trunk lid on my 2001 wont stay up
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 5 July, 2012, at 11:56:19 am
Most likely, one or both of the struts that hold the trunk up need to be replaced. I'd be surprised if they both went at the same time.
Iwas There (Toronto) - Thursday, 5 July, 2012, at 12:23:12 pm
I wondered whether the heat would make the fluid in the struts ineffective
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 5 July, 2012, at 12:35:18 pm
Iwas There (Toronto)
I wondered whether the heat would make the fluid in the struts ineffective

They might be effected by the heat if they're marginal. I didn't have any problems with mine (06) when travelling in Arizona and Nevada where temperatures were around 105 F / 41 C.

If it's the heat, then they should work in the evening / morning when the temperatures are closer to 20 C.
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Burg Boxster - Thursday, 5 July, 2012, at 1:49:49 pm
after 11/12 years, the lifter shocks are likely shot. Though it may only be one, might as well replace both at once (i.e. headlights, etc.). Most local parts stores carry suitable replacements. You just need to pull shock off the ball joint (possibly remove safety clip if present) and take to store to get correct size. Easily DIYable...
What he said
Boxsterra - Thursday, 5 July, 2012, at 6:42:44 pm
I just replaced the ones on my 1999. The new ones are sooo much better. I got them from AutoHausAz for about $10 apiece. You have to remove the clips to get the old ones off, easy with a small screwdriver or needle-nose pliers.
$10 ea. from AutohausAz. Mine did not have clips. I just looked at the rear trunk shocks. There are no clips there either.

The connection is a ball and socket joint, just like the cable ends on the cabriolet top mechanism. I used an open end wrench to get the ball out of the socket. It took some force to pop it out. Then a rubber mallet for re-installation. Now the hood flies up and stays up regardless of temperature.
Iwas There (Toronto) - Friday, 6 July, 2012, at 4:09:13 pm
Thanks everyone for your help
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login