Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
iPad Pictures
Laz - Tuesday, 25 September, 2012, at 10:16:26 pm
At the Montgomery Museum of Fine Art

Across the street from the Vicksburg battlefield

San Albino, Masilla, Las Cruces, NM

Del Mar, CA

Mr. C Hotel, Beverly Hills

At a friend's in San Luis Obispo, CA

Big Sur, CA

Morro Rock, CA

Mount Shasta, CA

Crater Lake, OR

Boise Art Museum, ID

Mount Rushmore, SD

Deadwood, SD

Crazy Horse monument, SD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2012 10:19PM by Laz. (view changes)
Re: iPad Pictures
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Tuesday, 25 September, 2012, at 10:28:45 pm
Wow - putting a few miles on it already! I thought I was driving a lot with 4300 miles in the first 6 weeks.
A lot of pics - maybe Gary will drop the subject now. the finger smiley
but I'm figuring the car did about 27 - 27.5 for the trip. Saw as high as 29.3 with a range of 505. The oil was changed at a bit over 2100 and it's going in tomorrow for another. Considering about 90-95% of the miles were in 6th gear, the oil can't be too stressed out. And the car has only used maybe 9/10ths of a quart since 2100. Pretty amazing overall, I'd say.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2012 10:47PM by Laz. (view changes)
My mileage has been all over the board - as high as around 31+ mph in 7th gear on the interstate across Texas and around 11 mph on the high speed runs. Up here in the mountains I have been averaging around 22 or 23 - but that is fairly "spirited" driving in the twisties - my home roads.
7th gear????

Oh, that's right, you got a PDK so Dianne cound drive it eye rolling smiley

*edited by moderator*

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2012 08:06AM by Boxsterra. (view changes)
Hallelujah!!!...wonderful car on a great trip thumbs up Thanks *NM*
Gary in SoFL - Wednesday, 26 September, 2012, at 7:14:23 am
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Thats a really nice color when you see it in a normal environment
grant - Wednesday, 26 September, 2012, at 8:36:07 am
How's it driving?

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
It's magnificent in most every respect.
Laz - Wednesday, 26 September, 2012, at 8:54:56 am
One exception is the Goodyears have a lot of roar "at speed" on heavily textured asphalt and concrete. The one time I was in a deluge, they dragged a lot: not the best evacuation. They didn't really pull the car from side to side, and perhaps it's the e steering's "mu split recommendation" or somesuch that keeps the car straight. I'm at the dealer now for the oil change and they tell me there are now other 19" N spec brands available. At 11+k there's no appreciable wear yet, so it'll be a while.
Looks like you had a GREAT trip
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 26 September, 2012, at 8:59:13 am
You sure included a LOT of historic and scenic spots along the way. Isn't that route up Big Sur one fabulous drive?

Isn't the Boxster one fabulous road trip car? Looks like you managed a lot of top down driving. There's no better way to enjoy that scenery.

Looks like the rear fender of a 55 / 56 Chevy in the Deadwood photo.

Thanks for sharing the photos. Brings back fond memories of our California trip back in 2009. It's the perfect time of year for that trip
Re: Looks like you had a GREAT trip
Laz - Wednesday, 26 September, 2012, at 9:08:43 am
It was fabulous! I had friends and relatives to see along the way, and planned to see Rushmore and Crazy Horse. The only formal reservation I had was for Mr. C where a woman I know from back east works. All the rest was improvisation.
See my reply to Grant.
One thing: I don't recall taking a trip to California with you.
Gary in SoFL - Wednesday, 26 September, 2012, at 9:35:25 am
Laz

grinning smiley If you had Laz, you'd certainly recall it. G-man would have been drooling all over your car every morning as he lovingly, and obsessively cleaned his.

Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 26 September, 2012, at 10:21:30 am
Laz

....hmmmmm that's strange. Are you sure? confused smiley ..... now that you mention it, neither do I. grinning smiley

It was our, as in my wife's and my, trip to California. I'd say that we (my wife and I) probably covered a similar amount of territory per day. Ours was 7050 miles in 18 days.
What a great trip..
MikenOH - Wednesday, 26 September, 2012, at 4:48:13 pm
and pictures. Can't think of a better way to --as Dina Shore used to say--see the USA in.

How comfy is it when driving all day:
Seats?
Noise?
Wind buffeting with top down?

I noticed the same thing on my Asymetrics regarding the variation on road noise--one some roads nothing; on old asphalt quiet a bit of noise.

GR 981S 6spd/PTV/SS
MikenOH:
Laz - Wednesday, 26 September, 2012, at 8:06:39 pm
The standard seats are perfect for me, and I think the squab is shorter than those on my 01, and so my knee backs aren't interfered with. Suspension-wise the car is perfectly comfortable. (19" wheels; PASM) Once I got to the Dakotas the heated seats and steering wheel were terrific. As I've mentioned before, the seat ventilation can be effective for wicking moisture/cooling even with the AC off. I looked at Tire Rack reviews of the tires, and the gist of the comments was the Goodyears are relatively quiet... Pirelli N-specs are now available, btw. Because the rearward visual acuity is much better without the mesh windstop, I left it off for the whole trip. Top down wasn't bad, although that was mostly for secondaries like California 1, etc. I've previously mentioned there's a peculiar beat-tone (not buffeting as such) when the top is up and only one window is open. This is alleviated quite a bit by having the other window at least part way open: an acoustical cancellation I suppose. Interestingly enough, some of the roads in the Black Hills caused the tires to sound a bit like far-off high pitched Indian war whoops... how appropriate with the Crazy Horse Memorial nearby.
And boy, does that 3.4 engine pull!
Re: MikenOH:
MikenOH - Wednesday, 26 September, 2012, at 9:26:27 pm
Laz
The standard seats are perfect for me, and I think the squab is shorter than those on my 01, and so my knee backs aren't interfered with. Suspension-wise the car is perfectly comfortable. (19" wheels; PASM) Once I got to the Dakotas the heated seats and steering wheel were terrific. As I've mentioned before, the seat ventilation can be effective for wicking moisture/cooling even with the AC off. I looked at Tire Rack reviews of the tires, and the gist of the comments was the Goodyears are relatively quiet... Pirelli N-specs are now available, btw. Because the rearward visual acuity is much better without the mesh windstop, I left it off for the whole trip. Top down wasn't bad, although that was mostly for secondaries like California 1, etc. I've previously mentioned there's a peculiar beat-tone (not buffeting as such) when the top is up and only one window is open. This is alleviated quite a bit by having the other window at least part way open: an acoustical cancellation I suppose. Interestingly enough, some of the roads in the Black Hills caused the tires to sound a bit like far-off high pitched Indian war whoops... how appropriate with the Crazy Horse Memorial nearby.
And boy, does that 3.4 engine pull!

After reading all the reviews on the MSSs, I hope they will get Porsche spec approval soon; Michelin needs a new tire to become a OEM part on new Porsches.
SuperSports
grant - Thursday, 27 September, 2012, at 12:26:35 pm
here's what a Porsche person told one of our NNJR guys at the track:

Never, int heir current form.

SuperSports have the best grip on the market, but very abrupt transition to break-away. This violates Porsche's policy to make cars safely accessible by all drivers, not just experienced ones.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
It is definitely a great road car - snf rvrn more so with PDK (sorry, Gary). Mine has the 20" wheels, PASM usually in the Sport position and Perellis and yet I noticed no harshness at all. In a trip from NC to TX, and back, even my wife commented that the ride was much more confortable than the 987. The seventh gear makes cruising at higher speeds for long distances much more pleasant. Yet - just a flick of a paddle and the temperament of the car changes completely!
Lawdevil & CURVN8R
It is definitely a great road car - snf rvrn more so with PDK (sorry, Gary).

Understandable coming from a retired attorney who likes parasols in his drinks drinking smiley

awesome!
Steve (Morro Bay) - Thursday, 27 September, 2012, at 11:38:53 am
Looks like you've been having a great time Laz! I just left Morro Bay last June, and your pictures make me wish I'd stuck around a bit longer. May you have many more long trips like this ahead of you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2012 11:47AM by Steve (Iowa). (view changes)
Re: iPad Pictures
ericp - Friday, 12 July, 2013, at 4:54:27 pm
That's a trip I would love to make in my boxster. I did drive a uhaul from South Lake Tahoe, CA to NH 3 weeks ago, wasn't as fun, although nice sceneray in Nevada, Wyoming and Nebraska. Did you take Rt 90 across? I think I would like to take that route some day.
To finish off my "contiguous states list" I was on I-90 in Montana, then picked up 94 to get to North Dakota. I might take more of 90 if I visit a friend in Washington later this year.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login