Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Gravely ill Boxster :-(
NuovaZeta - Tuesday, 20 November, 2012, at 7:31:33 pm
Just 1 mile from home tonight I started hearing a kind of scraping noise from the engine. It would come and go but the closer I got to home the more frequent. It is hard to describe because it did not seem in tune with the engine i.e. did not seem to change frequency with engine RPM, or car speed - but when the engine RPM increased the scraping would start, then stop.

There were no warning lights showing. As I pulled into my parking building the scraping noise stopped for a longer while but just as I pulled into the parking bay it got much worse and was making noise even with the engine idling. There was also some grey-white smoke coming from somewhere.

I shut off the engine and the smoke continued to appear from under the engine somehow. This stopped but there was light steam coming from the vent behind the right hand door.

When I looked under the car the news was not good. There was a clear slippery liquid dripping heavily from under the engine and forming a large puddle.

I pulled off the engine cover, but from the top of the engine I could not see anything wrong. Whatever was dripping from under the engine, it seemed to completely empty itself.

I suspect the smoke I saw was this fluid dripping onto a hot surface. The smoke stopped about 30 after I cut the engine.

While driving I could not notice any difference in engine power. Recently, at idle, the engine RPM seemed to be 'hunting' a little more that what I would consider normal but I don't know if this is related. Actually I don't know anything.

Does anybody have an idea what just happened to my dear Porsche? Also I have about a 30 mile tow to Pedro's Garage, do you think the car is towable (I mean being pulled by another car)?

any advice appreciated, John
*not* attempt to have another car pull your car there unless your name is Jed Clampett.
Thanks for the advice. On reflection, the water pump does seem a likely cause. I will try to contact Pedro tomorrow and arrange for a flatbed.

regards Jed... er I mean John
Re: Gravely ill Boxster :-(
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 20 November, 2012, at 11:33:53 pm
Not so grave smiling smiley
When I started reading I thought: water pump.
No big deal if that's the problem.
Call me tomorrow.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Definitely sounds like the water pump
Boxsterra - Saturday, 24 November, 2012, at 3:14:33 pm
Since it is near the bottom of the engine you can't see when it leaks from the top.

When the bearing wears the pulley can wobble. That can cause a squealing sound and if the impeller blades hit the housing it can cause them to break off. I've never heard that sound firsthand but it must be pretty awful.

Pedro can patch you all up, no problem.
Re: Definitely sounds like the water pump
NuovaZeta - Wednesday, 28 November, 2012, at 3:05:09 pm
It was the water pump alright, and Pedro did a nice job putting Humpty back together again smiling smiley

John
Re: Definitely sounds like the water pump
Gary in SoFL - Wednesday, 28 November, 2012, at 4:04:09 pm
NuovaZeta
It was the water pump alright, and Pedro did a nice job putting Humpty back together again smiling smiley

John

He usually does thumbs up

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Re: Gravely ill Boxster :-(
Alcantera - Sunday, 25 November, 2012, at 12:49:55 pm
Gravely ill is usually accompanied with a whole dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree. I would concur with the guys...your car is sick but soon will be healthy again. .
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login