Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Rent a Porsche
MikenOH - Thursday, 14 February, 2013, at 9:47:42 am
[www.nbcnews.com]

I think I'll send a note to the Hertz corporate marketing department on what a grand idea this is and it should be expanded to include the Boxster S, Cayman S or R and GT3. I can just see this: lapping day coming up and no car--no problem! Just call Hertz early and reserve that performance car you always wanted to drive on the track; be prepared for a mega deductible.

At a track day last year, a guy in the next bay had driven up in a rented Mustang GT with a buddy that was driving a 987S; rather than wait to share his friends car, he spent a lot of times going around Mid-OH in that Mustang, making me wonder how close the rental car company looks for wear and tear on tires/brakes when car are returned. Shades of what was going on with Shelby's GT-350 and Hertz in the mid-60's.
Re: Rent a Porsche
db997S - Thursday, 14 February, 2013, at 12:11:23 pm
I thought I read something a while ago that several rental car companies have placed "black boxes" in their cars. I'd be nervous that they'd have them in their high-end or "exotic" cars such as a Boxster or the Shelby GT-350 that peoople will want to rent to go fast and generally abuse them. If they see triple digit speeds and pull up a GPS tracker to see you were on a racetrack, it could get nasty. Also, with some of the higher end vehicles, there could be limits on the number of miles you can drive without paying more (say 100 miles per day, for instance). Older car renters may recall this as standard practice for all rentals back in the day.
MikenOH
[www.nbcnews.com]

I think I'll send a note to the Hertz corporate marketing department on what a grand idea this is and it should be expanded to include the Boxster S, Cayman S or R and GT3. I can just see this: lapping day coming up and no car--no problem! Just call Hertz early and reserve that performance car you always wanted to drive on the track; be prepared for a mega deductible.

At a track day last year, a guy in the next bay had driven up in a rented Mustang GT with a buddy that was driving a 987S; rather than wait to share his friends car, he spent a lot of times going around Mid-OH in that Mustang, making me wonder how close the rental car company looks for wear and tear on tires/brakes when car are returned. Shades of what was going on with Shelby's GT-350 and Hertz in the mid-60's.

black boxes in rental cars I can only say I spent some time over a year ago testing my employer's black box in various rental cars at various rental car fleets...

Then there is Ford's Sync...

The word was guys would rent a Hertz Shelby GT-350 and take it to the track and compete in some stock class either road course or drag strip and then return the car with no one the wiser.

There were even reports of someone renting one of these cars and removing the engine and possibly even the transmission and replacing them with lesser though comparable items.
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
if you're in LA...
Cris - Friday, 15 February, 2013, at 5:27:06 pm
[www.bwrentacar.com] offers exotic rentals. And, according to their policy, no taking their cars to mexico. But nothing about track use.
BTW, rental on a 981 Boxster is than a Camero SS. I guess the SS is a more popular choice.
Guess that would be about an 8 day rental if you don't stop to do much sight seeing.
Rental = $1,600
Mileage @ $0.65 / mile would run about $2,000.

Problem is it's a defective 981. It only has a 6 speed PDK.
"Pretty Darn Kwik" *NM*
Laz - Friday, 15 February, 2013, at 6:41:54 pm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login