Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
981 Cayman S on snowy track
Laz - Wednesday, 13 February, 2013, at 8:20:55 am
The car is probably fitted with PASM and PTV, and being the wheels are 19s, the tires are likely Michelin PA4 n-spec.
[www.youtube.com]
Re: 981 Cayman S on snowy track
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 13 February, 2013, at 11:13:04 am
Good shots of driving in the snow at the beginning.

I wonder where and when the 290 kph run was done. Couldn't be at Hockenheim. There wouldn't be a straight long enough to drive over 90 seconds at those speeds without turning the wheel. It doesn't show the roads. I bet there wasn't any snow or ice on this section of the run either.

Based on my experience, my speedometer is out by about 2%. 100kph=98kph, (read agains a gps) so that would have been roughly a 284kph run. Still pretty impressive on what likely was a cool/cold road.
... it was probably going "only" 206-208!
When I drove the Autobahn
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 13 February, 2013, at 11:31:18 am
I really was amazed how smooth it was. Here in Canada, when a section of road has been patched, I can always feel the start and end of the patch. On the Autobahn, I never experienced that. It was almost as if they had just painted a section of the road darker, no bump, just smooth road. In part, I think it's due to the warmer temperatures in Germany. The frost getting into the ground always plays havoc with those patches here in Canada.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2013 11:32AM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
The depth of the paving material is much greater than the US interstate standard, too.
The springing on the Ruf, combined with the stratospheric speed accounts for most all the bouncing; the road being relatively blameless.
The Autobahn roadbed thickness is 30"
MikenOH - Wednesday, 13 February, 2013, at 1:24:03 pm
[www.gettingaroundgermany.info]

I'm thinking in the interstates in the US are probably 1/2 that.
Road thickness has nothing to do with it
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 13 February, 2013, at 4:05:18 pm
No speed limit means cars are driving faster, so tires spend less time per square cm. Therefore less wear on the road. winking smiley

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
The comedian Steven Wright has a riff about being stopped by a cop for speeding. When asked why he was, he goes into his deadpan explanation of pushing on the gas pedal, which makes more gas go into the engine, which makes the engine turn faster, which makes the wheels turn faster. "That's why I was speeding, Officer."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2013 05:56PM by Laz. (view changes)
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login