Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Well, well
Roger987 - 9 years ago
Early this morning, I was awakened by a phone call. Even though the person on the other end immediately identified himself, it took me a moment to realize he was the fellow who owns the barn where I store my Porsche (and this year, my 15 year old BMW) for the winter.

Even before he uttered the next few words, I had a sense this wasn't a good call.

He said: "Roger, last night we had a devastating fire".

Then, silence...

I asked him the question, the answer to which I already knew.

"Both cars are gone."

Those of you who know me, and any who have read my posts from the time I bought my Boxster in the spring of 2007, know how much I cherished that car. Many will recall that a few years ago, I had the car disassembled and repainted GT Silver. One does that only for a 'keeper'.

I cannot begin to describe the joy my Boxster has given me. We shared countless good times, many miles, and many smiles. It spoke to me, indulged me, protected me, and responded, in kind, to my attention and care.

My Boxster and I experienced an exquisitely symbiotic relationship.

I remember being told (taught?) in elementary school, that we cannot love inanimate objects, that love is an emotion we feel only for living things. As it happens, my Boxster was, to me, very much a living thing.

In years gone by, I have parted with vehicles of which I was fond - the motorcycle I owned throughout my high school and university years, and later, my first and only new car - a '79 Chev four-door which I kept for many, many years. But the loss of my cherished Boxster, through destruction by fire, feels entirely different. Though this may sound dramatic, it's as though I let it down, and not in a small way.

I hasten to add that I do not compare this, in any sense, to the loss of a loved human, or dear pet.

But, I'll tell you, it's a very sad day, nonetheless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2015 06:05PM by Roger987. (view changes)
I can only imagine your frustration, I too would be in a very bad place if something were to happen to my 99. These cars are like members of our family, and link us to long lasting friendships and to many, great life events. I can only hope that you can afford to move past this troubling event and find yourself entering into a new adventure with a replacement vehicle.

Steve

Steve
Guards Red 1999
I'm not a race car driver, but I play one in 2nd and 3rd gear grinning smiley
Thanks, Steve; your comments are spot-on.

I anticipate I'll buy another Boxster - probably a used 981.

Over the past 8 years, I made annual improvements to my Boxster, to make it just right for me - from the front (headlights), to the back (tailpipes) and a lot in between (new steering wheel(s), ipod interface), wheels.

I finally had it 'just right'. This morning, I was all set to book off two weeks in May for my annual run down to Virginia and SC. Then I got the call.

I take comfort from the knowledge that while Guenter (and others - Mike in OH) loved their 987's, they appear to love their 981's even more.

I just feel so damned bad my 987 came to such a tragic end. I had envisioned that car outliving me (and with me to my end, not it's).

R
Much sympathy.

I know the feeling of being responsible for one less Porsche riding around, my first thought when I crashed mine was "oh no, I pranged a Porsche". I wasn't worried about me, it was the car I felt bad for.

To lose two cars with personal history like these at the same time, double tough.

I hope you have good insurance.

Homeowners or Auto?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2015 07:57PM by mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC. (view changes)
Thanks Mike.

Your story reminds me of the time when, on a celebratory motorbike trip round Newfoundland after graduating from university, I lost it in 'marbles' on a corner - the first thing I did, even before the dust settled was run back to my bike to pick it up off the road and shut down the engine.

So, yeah, I feel that I had abandoned my car (notwithstanding the fresh oil, wax and Porsche factory cover, of course), to leave it to fend for itself. There's this nagging feeling in my subconscious that I should have been there to protect it.

As for the BMW, on the top of the driver's side seatback, next to the headrest, was a somewhat soiled spot I didn't have the heart to clean because it was left there by my now-deceased wheaten terrier, who (though seat-belted) would rest her muzzle next to my neck, while we drove along. I know this is a Porsche site, but that BMW and I (and my pooch) had a lot of good trips, not infrequently in daunting winter conditions. Neither car ever let me down. And I tried to reciprocate.

A bit of a double whammy, for sure. I've been in a daze most of the day.

When they are in storage, I leave comprehensive auto insurance on the cars. There were many more cars than my two in this fellow's former hog barns. There will be a lot of broken hearts, I imagine.The farm owner is a straight-up guy; he sounded pretty devastated this morning. (There may be some lively action between the auto insurers and his property insurer, but that won't have any bearing on me.)

My Boxster was somewhat unique in its combination of factory options, especially for a non-S. They included: black/grey full leather interior, Nav, sport chrono, full power heated seats, Bose and PASM, which I really, really liked. And, of course, there was the subsequent GT Silver (of which Guenter and I are more than just a little fond). To top it all off, a few years ago, Porsche installed a factory replacement engine with the large IMS bearing. So really, I was all set. Or so it seemed.

Today it took a walk through cars.com. It could be a while before I find the right one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2015 08:34PM by Roger987. (view changes)
Gosh, Roger. That's devastating news. I'm so sorry to hear what happened. I still remember your excitement before you even went to pick it up, wondering about the luggage space. Then sharing your joy of driving it home from Atlanta. All the little (and big) things you did with the car that made it even more special, to make it your own, one of a kind Boxster. There was that gorgeous GT Silver paint. I'm just at a loss for words.

I know that you'll be able to find another fabulous Boxster. At the same time, I know that this one will always have a special place in your heart.

Here's to better times. Celebrating what only a real driver and his Boxster enjoy sharing.

Guenter
Re: Well, well
Roger987 - 9 years ago
Guenter in Ontario
Gosh, Roger. That's devastating news. I'm so sorry to hear what happened. I still remember your excitement before you even went to pick it up, wondering about the luggage space. Then sharing your joy of driving it home from Atlanta. All the little (and big) things you did with the car that made it even more special, to make it your own, one of a kind Boxster. There was that gorgeous GT Silver paint. I'm just at a loss for words.

I know that you'll be able to find another fabulous Boxster. At the same time, I know that this one will always have a special place in your heart.

Here's to better times. Celebrating what only a real driver and his Boxster enjoy sharing.

Guenter

Guenter, I remember well that you were one of the first people to welcome me to Porsche Pete's Boxster Board, and to offer me good advice. (If I recall correctly, you were one of those who helped me with trunk measurements for the inaugural trip home.)

Of course, you also insisted I post photos of the car - I know, it doesn't sound like you at all. winking smiley

And years later, you and Michelle kindly took that action photo above, during my first BRBS trip. smiling smiley Needless to say, it means even more now.
... it seems like this past week has not been a good one for Boxsters.
Last Sunday and this afternoon I had to make a lowball offer on two (other-than-the-IMScool smiley perfectly good Boxsters.
Both of the owners were devastated and both had taken very good care of their cars.
The first one was set to come in for a DOF install next week.

Good luck hunting for your new ride.
All the the best.
Hopefully you will soon be Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Pedro (Weston, FL)
... it seems like this past week has not been a good one for Boxsters.
Last Sunday and this afternoon I had to make a lowball offer on two (other-than-the-IMScool smiley perfectly good Boxsters.
Both of the owners were devastated and both had taken very good care of their cars.
The first one was set to come in for a DOF install next week.

Good luck hunting for your new ride.
All the the best.
Hopefully you will soon be Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Thanks, Pedro. Yup, sounds as though it's been a rough week for a few of us. What year(s) are the two broken Boxsters?
Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
So sorry to hear of your loss. She sure looked beautiful. I hope it all works out in the end.
Re: Well, well
Roger987 - 9 years ago
Tony in Whittier
So sorry to hear of your loss. She sure looked beautiful. I hope it all works out in the end.

Thanks, Tony. I'm hoping that eventually, I'll be able to able to find the door which is be opening (this one having very suddenly closed).
Tragic....sad smiley
Gary in SoFL - 9 years ago
Goes for great cars as well as planes....

On the bright side, you'll have the challenge and enjoyment of creating a new beauty, hopefully with insurance money.

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Re: Tragic....sad smiley
Roger987 - 9 years ago
Thanks, Gary. I know you love planes, so I appreciate you including my Boxster in the sentiment.

Yes, it's good I had insurance. But, I've never seen another equipped quite like mine, (especially with a new engine); it will be impossible to duplicate it. And, of course, there's the lure of the 981
Better than a 911?

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."

It was a 1973 Citabria. [www.youtube.com] I flew it away from the factory in Osceola, Wisconsin and kept it until 1991. It took months to put it into perspective. The plane in the video has large tundra tires, which I did not have. Also, the plane was certified for basic aerobatic maneuvers. I won't go on, but give yourself some time to plan your next step.
Thanks, Steve. I've been somewhat annoyed, and perhaps a bit embarrassed, with myself that this event has bummed me out to the extent it has.

I take comfort from knowing it took you months to get over the loss of your plane. You must have been absolutely broken-hearted. I'm sure you have many fond memories.
upset after all the stateside hotel parking lot mods you did over the years winking smiley Accordingly the heartache will last longer.

Guess Ferry wanted a custom painted GT Silver Boxster in his driveway smiling smiley

Best wishes in hunting for the replacement.
A very difficult loss; I'm sure, over time, you'll find a replacement but It's difficult to find replacement for a car you had personalized to your own tastes, but you will find it.

If you do decide on the 981 path, you will not regret it.
So sad
richard986pei - 9 years ago
Sorry to hear that Roger. Your comments regarding your Boxster are so right on - that was one of the best looking Boxsters around. What a loss, but I'm sure you are already browsing the web for a suitable replacement and with some patience you will find a replacement very soon.
In prior conversations you mentioned that this barn was quite large. How many cars do you estimate were destroyed in that fire. Could some of them be saved?
Re: So sad
Roger987 - 9 years ago
Thanks, Richard.

Here's a link to the story. I drove out to the barn yesterday. Standing a the front of what was once the building (outside the 'caution' tape), I could see a portion of my Boxster's windshield frame, as well as the passenger side door frames of the BMW. The were parked side by side, each with a full tank of gas.

NOTHING flammable remained.

[www.theguardian.pe.ca]
BLKBOXS - 9 years ago
Roger,

I am so sorry to here what happened to your Boxster. Like you and most likely all of us, we love our Porsche cars, especially the one we are currently driving.

I hope all that insurance stuff works out for you. As you stated , your sure did do lots of enhancements to make your 987 very special.

Best of luck!

MIKELLIG
Roger987 - 9 years ago
BLKBOXS
Roger,

I am so sorry to here what happened to your Boxster. Like you and most likely all of us, we love our Porsche cars, especially the one we are currently driving.

I hope all that insurance stuff works out for you. As you stated , your sure did do lots of enhancements to make your 987 very special.

Best of luck!

Thanks, Mike, I recall when we first met at BRBS you'd remarked you've never seen a Boxster base so heavily loaded with options. You were right - I've never seen one so fully equipped, live or on the 'net, before or after. And that's why I bought it, and why replacing it will be so very difficult (short of ordering a new 981, and that's no small deal).
Your story is horrendous ..... the feelings are very understandable. No one, but us, can truly understand the feelings of loss for our revered cars.

When I was informed my car was totaled, I was devastated. I pleaded with the insurance company to no avail. No one could understand the tears. There were so many fond memories with my car. The after market mods with many people from the board. Even group car washes were fun, not to mention the drives. No drinking until after the event. I thought time would heal, but the loss is still hurtful, even with my new 981. Something about the attachment to an inanimate object may not be considered "normal", but it was a part of my life. A life which brought many friends and enjoyable times. And, I could trust the car in any situation, something that can be difficult to find. ..... A new car is fun and great, but it can't replace a loss.

It'll get easier but it may take awhile. The fond memories are there, hold on to them and the friends here on the board.

Joanne
Joanne in OC
Your story is horrendous ..... the feelings are very understandable. No one, but us, can truly understand the feelings of loss for our revered cars.

When I was informed my car was totaled, I was devastated. I pleaded with the insurance company to no avail. No one could understand the tears. There were so many fond memories with my car. The after market mods with many people from the board. Even group car washes were fun, not to mention the drives. No drinking until after the event. I thought time would heal, but the loss is still hurtful, even with my new 981. Something about the attachment to an inanimate object may not be considered "normal", but it was a part of my life. A life which brought many friends and enjoyable times. And, I could trust the car in any situation, something that can be difficult to find. ..... A new car is fun and great, but it can't replace a loss.

It'll get easier but it may take awhile. The fond memories are there, hold on to them and the friends here on the board.

Joanne

Thanks, Joanne.

My Boxster and I had so many wonderful trips - the first trip home from GA, two trips to BRBS (over 3,000 miles each trip), last May down to Virginia, trips to Ontario. The car performed flawlessly always.

And countless hours maintaining/improving the car - all with my own hands. From oil and fluid changes, to wheels, spacers, steering wheel, brakes, literally from the very front to the very back - lights to tailpipes. I have over $1k of new parts in the basement, waiting to be installed as preventative maintenance and regular maintenance. Working on the car built an even deeper connection.

It's interesting to hear you say that a new car, even a 981, can't replace the loss. That's how I feel. (And I've yet to see one equipped as mine was, from the factory, let alone all the mod's I did.)
Roger987
Joanne in OC

Joanne

Thanks, Joanne.

My Boxster and I had so many wonderful trips - the first trip home from GA, two trips to BRBS (over 3,000 miles each trip), last May down to Virginia, trips to Ontario. The car performed flawlessly always.

And countless hours maintaining/improving the car - all with my own hands. From oil and fluid changes, to wheels, spacers, steering wheel, brakes, literally from the very front to the very back - lights to tailpipes. I have over $1k of new parts in the basement, waiting to be installed as preventative maintenance and regular maintenance. Working on the car built an even deeper connection.

It's interesting to hear you say that a new car, even a 981, can't replace the loss. That's how I feel. (And I've yet to see one equipped as mine was, from the factory, let alone all the mod's I did.)

Roger,

I think you just described the perfect therapy. Obviously your new to you car will take time for the bonding process, however here are my thoughts in how this will play out:
The hunt.
Buy a post 08 987 (987.2) with not quite the options you want. (even the colour doesn't matter...does it) smiling smiley
Create your MOD list (rank most important to least)
Schedule MODs over a few years
Maintain it like it is your Job
Enjoy it every day

Keep us posted.

MIKELLIG
Thanks, Mike. That's good advice.

It may take a while though. With the US dollar at a 30% premium, that (very large, and mostly salt-free) supply is out of play.

And, there won't be any more painting. The fellow who painted my car, who was every bit as fussy as I am, no longer paints. At the time, I interviewed all the shops in PEI, and he was the ONLY one to whom I could entrust the job. When I told him the finished product had to be, at a minimum, as good as factory, he understood - he wasn't offended, or taken aback. He knew what I meant, and how I felt. In addition to disassembling the car, he wet-sanded between coats. He noticed that the underside of the hoods were factory painted in a semi-gloss, so he replicated that. It took months from start to finish, but as you know, the result was worth it.

You're right, I'll have to try to regard this as therapy. I just wish the Cdn $ (or more accurately, the US $) would cooperate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login