Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
it can let you remotely control your vehicle.

Down side? You betcha. Someone could hack through it and take you for, or stop you from a ride.

Here's the article about a Jeep in St. Louis that was hacked from Pittsburgh.

[www.autoblog.com]
Guenter in Ontario
it can let you remotely control your vehicle.

Down side? You betcha. Someone could hack through it and take you for, or stop you from a ride.

Here's the article about a Jeep in St. Louis that was hacked from Pittsburgh.

[www.autoblog.com]

Saw this on the news yesterday and wondered what the physical connection was.

I don't have the infotainment system--what sort of network does the system use so that someone could tunnel into car's computer?
[www.wired.com]

Looks like the entry points include Key FOB, Bluetooth, WiFi and cellular interfaces.
MikenOH
[www.wired.com]

Looks like the entry points include Key FOB, Bluetooth, WiFi and cellular interfaces.

I think the most dangerous (they're all scary) would be the WiFi and cellular interfaces. A hacker (as what they did in the article) could then gain access to a car's electronic controls from any remote location.
Why critical things are based on public protocols and hosted on public networks is beyond me. I know, time to market and, by the time problems are discovered, the folks who made the decision are probably no longer in the company.
He knew the hackers were going to do something, but didn't know what. They messed with radio volume (great for distracted driving,) and cut out the transmission and/or the engine. Also the windshield washers, with the jerk exclaiming, "I can't see!" Real smart, a--hole! Bring it to a closed track! I've yet to hear any of the commentators bring this up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2015 02:29PM by Laz. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login