Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
As the subject states the soft top on my 2014 Boxster S stops part way (about 3/4 travel) through the opening cycle. When it stops the message "Fault of soft top control system" is displayed in the Multi Function display. The opening cycle can be completed by releasing the console button and re-engaging it. This happens once during the day and subsequently the top will function normally for the rest of the day. Next day same fault. I had this issue looked at by the dealer and they replaced the "Microswitch/Latch Console", Part #9P1-871-565. It worked correctly once post service but is now doing the same thing. I will be taking it back to the dealer but I would appreciate any ideas, thoughts or suggestions about what they should be looking at this time. I know the shop foreman and respect and he is open to dialog when I have issues or questions. Thanks in advance.

Vince Canepa, 2014 Boxster S, Sapphire Blue w Black/Luxor Beige

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2021 09:51AM by Pedro (Odessa, FL). (view changes)
It sure sounds like a microswitch issue.
If it turns out to be the same microswitch in the latch, then the positioning of the microswitch may need a slight adjustment.
To determine whether it's that switch, when the convertible top stops its movement repeatedly press with your finger two or three times in quick succession the microswitch to see if it allows the top to finish its cycle.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Thanks Pedro. I'll post when it is resolved.
just curious, as it might affect how people view it.

Some might look more closely - others might skip admin stuff.
I edited the title from "steps" to "stops" and did not remove the Admin tag.
Sorry. Removed.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2021 12:24PM by Pedro (Odessa, FL). (view changes)
Just to close the loop on this thread. I took it back to the dealer. Pedro was correct that it was a microswitch issue. They determined that the microswitch on the driver's side was defective - part #981-561-943-01. The tough thing about this particular switch is the top must be removed. The switch had to come out of Germany, which took about one month. I was charged for the part; the dealer sucked up the labor (with no proding from me). So all in all I'm pleased.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login