Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Fuel level gauge not working in 2002 Boxster S
espooner - Friday, 12 August, 2011, at 10:50:50 pm
2002 Boxster S, 6speed, 45,000 miles.

While at Watkins Glenn Intl. last weekend, my gas gauge started acting up. It read "full" all day, when normally it is on empty by the end of the day. Turning car off and on had no effect. Filled the tank that evening (14 gallons). By the end of the first run the next day, it read 3/4 full, and was working normally. 2 hours later, it reads "full" again, and has done so since then, even after driving 225 miles back home.

My Bentley repair manual states that the fuel level sensor and fuel pump are all in one, and cannot be replaced separately. The part alone is $372 from Pelican Parts. I don't want to buy it if the gauge itself is the problem.

Before sending for one, is there any testing to do to CONFIRM that it is a bad sensor, rather than a bad gauge? It would seem that as the gauge goes full scale, and at least once read 3/4 full, that it is not the problem. Should I smack the pump/sensor with a rubber mallet to free a stuck float? Anyone have any similar experience?

All replies welcome.

Eric Spooner
If you connect ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Saturday, 13 August, 2011, at 7:43:32 am
... a PST II or a PIWIS tothe car you can test the gauge by simulating different fuel levels.
But the gauge seems to be working so I would check the sender.
Sometimes it ca get tangled up in the lines and isn't free to move.
Before you get into the gas tank first order a new rubber gasket.
The all tend to swell up with time and will not fit back in.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Fuel level gauge not working in 2002 Boxster S
Tnert - Saturday, 13 August, 2011, at 10:43:10 pm
Eric,

Dont smack your fuel pump assembly. I assume you were joking, if not maybe you should turn the hammer upon yourself winking smiley

The fuel pump and level is one assembly. It is submerged in the bottom of your fuel tank.

If you plan on removing the pump, please run your car almost completely out of gas first, then you wont have to go under fuel up to your elbows. Remember most rubber gloves will dissolve in gas, so get the chemical ones.

You can easily access it by removing your battery, then the battery tray, disconnect fuel lines (push fittings), remove top of tank, reach in and rotate the fuel pump 1/4 turn and it lifts straight out. Clockwise, or counterclockwise, depends on if you are in Australia or not.

The assembly is all plastic, and fragile. One of mine broke in shipping! The floats do not have any adjustment, the level is set using the PS2. Thus I dont have much hope a removal and inspection will help much, but maybe you will find something obvious like a lose connector.

I bought a used fuel pump quite cheap.

Trent
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login