Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Damage to wiring harness!
Velodog2 - Sunday, 14 August, 2011, at 11:21:08 pm
This is both bizarre and frustrating. I am trying to sell my 2001 Boxster and suddenly the check engine light comes on. Diagnostics say it is the forward drivers side O2 sensor. Replace it. Light back on. Diagnostics say it is the rear drivers side O2 sensor. Grrrr. Replace it. Light back on. Remove and test both sensors on the bench using a blowtorch. They check out ok. Start probing further up and find that the wiring leading from the rear O2 sensor connector is gone. Just gone. Chewed off right above the connector and there is just a hole and some frayed insulation where it connected to the harness. How the.... I dunno. Maybe it was the baby skunk I saw wandering around the yard a little while before this happened.

But how am I going to fix this? It's hard to sell a car with a check engine light on. I can barely reach the point where the wire joined the main harness. What does one do in this situation?
Mike
The problem with O2 sensor wiring ...
fastdude986 - Monday, 15 August, 2011, at 11:13:05 am
... is that the electrical resistance is critical for a correct reading.
You should repair it with the same type of wiring and solder the connections, then shrink wrap so no moisture can get in.
Cheers, Peter.

The older I get, the faster I used to be!
so my belief is you'll have to splice in a new section of wire, or perhaps get a set of rear sensors with the longer wiring leads.

It has been awhile since I've dealt with O2 sensors so double check my info but the #1 and #2 sensors are teh same the only difference is the #2 sensors have a longer lead. (Note not all Porsches have interchangable sensors.)

My info is you should *not* use solder on the O2 sensor wiring as this can put in a bias into the voltage signal. There are crimp connectors that are designed for use in areas like the sensors. These crimp connectors have some kind of gel/sealant that when the connector is crimped down the gel sack breaks adn flows about the connection and seals it against the elements.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login