Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Dead battery and can't open the hood help! sad smiley
carlos in Montreal - Monday, 15 August, 2011, at 7:24:44 pm
My battery went dead again!

So I tried to open the hood with the battery from my VW. I attached the positive to the red pullout tab and the negative to the driver door latch when touching the positive wire to the red tab I hear a click, click but when I pull on the hood latch..... nothing!!!

What can this mean?

I'm going to try to charge the battery with my CTEK charger and I don't have the cigarette lighter option but I do have have a spare cigarette lighter spare plug that I can modify to fit the CTEK.

Can anyone confirm that the cigarette lighter center is the positive and the ring is the negative.

thanks
But the maintainer that goes through the lighter only works to maintain, it doesn't charge. It detects a very narrow range of voltages in which it attempts to bring the battery back up to full charge. And if your battery is dead, the voltage is liable to be well below that threshold. The wiring to the lighter is not robust enough to attempt a full charge or jump through the battery to the starter.

The classic way of getting to the front boot/hood latch is through the emergency pull cord that hides behind the front bumper and is accessed through the wheel well....unless someone has already moved it to a more accessible position.

http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/whenyourbatteryisdead contains all of the methods of dealing with a dead Boxster battery I've seen posted over the last 5 years or so.
Re: Dead battery and can't open the hood help! sad smiley
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Tuesday, 16 August, 2011, at 10:53:57 am
On one occasion I was able to use the CTEK to get back to a level where I could open the front trunk and start the car. However, the battery was not totally dead - although close to it I could get one or two clicks on the starter but the trunk would not open.- . I hooked up the CTEK and it charged it enough overnight to get the job done.

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
Re: Dead battery and can't open the hood help! sad smiley
jwdbox - Tuesday, 16 August, 2011, at 11:23:07 am
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC
But the maintainer that goes through the lighter only works to maintain, it doesn't charge. It detects a very narrow range of voltages in which it attempts to bring the battery back up to full charge. And if your battery is dead, the voltage is liable to be well below that threshold. The wiring to the lighter is not robust enough to attempt a full charge or jump through the battery to the starter.

The classic way of getting to the front boot/hood latch is through the emergency pull cord that hides behind the front bumper and is accessed through the wheel well....unless someone has already moved it to a more accessible position.

http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/whenyourbatteryisdead contains all of the methods of dealing with a dead Boxster battery I've seen posted over the last 5 years or so.

The newer 987s do not have the emergency pull cord.
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Confirmed the polarity
Boxsterra - Tuesday, 16 August, 2011, at 11:17:29 pm
(from [en.wikipedia.org])

For the 12-volt systems, the "contact point," which is the center part of the plug when viewed end-on, carries the positive voltage, whereas the "can" part, which is the outer part of the connector, carries the negative voltage (which is the "ground" connection for most automobiles, which have a negative ground electrical system).
mikefocke is right! I tried to charge the battery from the cigarette lighter for 12 hours and it did not charge with the battery maintainer. The voltage coming from the battery is so low the the maintainer.

Thanks all for the help
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login