Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Drop link installation question.
Tony in Whittier - Tuesday, 16 August, 2011, at 8:09:40 pm
This is for the rears on an '00 S. The R & R looks simple enough. But, is it recommended that the sway bar comes off? Also, should the link be replaced when the wheels are loaded or with the car and wheels elevated? Any other recommendations?

I get a continuous chirping sound from the rear when I go over rough pavement or a speed bump. I have been told from a Porsche alignment shop that it is the drop links, which wear quickly on our cars. Does the diagnosis sound accurate? I do not get the noise from the front tires when subjected to the same.

Thanks.
How did they arrive at that conclusion?
Boxsterra - Tuesday, 16 August, 2011, at 9:08:38 pm
It doesn't sound super likely but it is possible. I would lend more credence to their diagnosis if I knew that they had done some diagnosis. From the way you describe our, it sounds like they're just guessing. There are lots of parts that can wear out.

My guess would have been that the sway bar bolts are loose and that the bushing is squeaking. $0 to check and fix.

Oh, and no need to remove the sway bar to replace the drop links. Easier to do with the whelks pdf but not strictly necessary.
* wheels off *NM*
Boxsterra - Tuesday, 16 August, 2011, at 11:12:25 pm
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2011 10:11PM by Laz. (view changes)
The joints on the OEM droplinks ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 17 August, 2011, at 1:23:25 pm
... really wear fast and can make a lot of sound.

Leave the swaybar in place and leave the suspension loaded.
You need to install the droplinks so that there is zero load on the sawybars.
If you rare installing adjustable droplinks you need to adjust them accordingly.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login