Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
New Boxster 981 and other new model info
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 17 August, 2011, at 10:26:28 am
Auto Motor und Sport has an article on all the new Porsches being planned for the next 6 years.

According to them, both the Boxster (debut early summer 2012) and Cayman (debut early 2013) will have a turbo 2.5 liter boxer 4 with up to 365 HP. Nothing really new here, but that seems to be the direction it's going engine wise. .....so for those who love the torque and sound of the Symphony in Flat Six ..... thinking caps are on.

Mention is made of a 551 Spyder debuting in 2015 as a new light weight entry level model.

Also some interesting "concept" pics.

[www.auto-motor-und-sport.de]
Re: New Boxster 981 and other new model info
db997S - Wednesday, 17 August, 2011, at 1:18:31 pm
The base 911 is supposed to drop down to a 3.4l engine (S stays at 3.8). Seems like the 1970s post-oil embargo all over again. At least this time around, it's not a surprise. So, technology has had time to be incorporated into the process and we get smaller, more powerful engines. Just might be time to go the e-Boxster route, however, and have the external sound package to atleast mimic the sound of the flat six roar. The blown four probably won't cut it unless you are going balls to the wall like folks had to do in the Honda S-2000 to get any decent sound. But, then, you loose the whole purpose of going smaller.
Clarkaddison - Thursday, 18 August, 2011, at 10:39:17 am
Looks like my 06 Boxster is going to be a 15 year car.
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Wednesday, 17 August, 2011, at 7:09:16 pm
A 4 cylinder engine with 365 hp? I wonder. I have my doubts. Unless there is very large hp increase in the base Carrera, that might make the Boxster faster than the base Carrera. Porsche has always tried to keep Boxster performance around 40 or 50 hp less than the Carrera. I know I would be less inclined to purchase a 4 banger Boxster.
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 17 August, 2011, at 9:29:47 pm
Sheesh, Mike. Four banger just doesn't have the same ring as Symphony in Flat Six. eye rolling smiley

When I first heard that there might be a turbo 4, I was hoping that would be for an entry level Boxster and they'd still have one with a flat six.
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Thursday, 18 August, 2011, at 1:08:42 pm
I;d go for a flat 6 Boxster with 400 hp! smiling smiley
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Sunday, 21 August, 2011, at 3:38:17 pm
I just noticed an article that said the base Carrera would have the 3.4 engine with 350 hp. Based upon that, I think it is extremely unlikely the Boxster will have 365 hp! Of course, I suppose this is still all "educated guesses".
Torque of flat sixes....
grant - Friday, 19 August, 2011, at 2:22:55 pm
I love the "symphony" as you call it; and i love the flay torque curve and immediate torque delivery of a well done NA motor.

But, if we look at other makers, including now parent VW/Audi, smaller turbo motors can deliver MORE torque down low, albeit with some lag. I hear lag is getting smaller and smaller. Look at both the VW/Audi 2.0T and 2.7t - they both have boatloads of torque by 1750 rpms. having owned one, sometimes you need to wait a sec tho :-(

Grant
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login