Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
...and now the passenger window
cld3316 - Thursday, 18 August, 2011, at 8:56:15 pm
Hi. I posted earlier in the week about ignition problems. Thanks to the Board and an excellent DIY from Pedro (my friends are stunned when I show them the information available about this car and the community of support...well, they are stunned that I actually do anything to this car given my limited mechanical knowledge and I have to fess up and tell them how much help is available in the community), I swapped the switch and ignition operation seems to be back to normal.

However, while waiting for the part the battery died. I assume this is due to the car 'thinking' the key was still in and some systems draining the battery. Jumped the car with no problems and it drove fine. The only thing is that there is now no response from the passenger window. Nothing happens when I push the switch or pull the door handle or open the latch to lower the top. I followed the instructions in the manual to reset the window but there is no reaction at all. So again I appeal to the collective wisdom and knowledge of the Board and ask for suggestions about areas to look. Is there a wire I could have bumped while cramming myself under the steering wheel? Could I have hit a fuse while using a "donor battery" to open the front hood? As always, any thoughts, advice, ideas, commiseration are greatly appreciated.
Re: ...and now the passenger window
dghii - Thursday, 18 August, 2011, at 11:12:00 pm
Don't over think the problem as in what you might have done. Keep it simple and check easy stuf first like your window fuses. Swap switches to eliminate any problem there. Work your way to the window motor.

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
The first thing to try
Boxsterra - Friday, 19 August, 2011, at 10:25:39 am
is to disconnect the battery, reconnect it, and try the window again.

Occasionally, the computer thinks that the window is all of the way up when it is actually all of the way down (or vice-versa). So when you press the switch, nothing happens.
Re: The first thing to try
cld3316 - Friday, 19 August, 2011, at 11:31:32 am
Thanks for the input. I thought about doing that but I don't have the radio code so want to see if there are other options before disconnecting the battery.
Some ideas
Boxsterra - Friday, 19 August, 2011, at 11:45:02 am
1) Get the radio code from the dealer or on the "radio code request" thread on Renntech.org
2) Disconnect the battery for less than 30 seconds
3) You must have had the radio code when the battery died, right?
Actually...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 19 August, 2011, at 11:48:37 am
... you can disconnect then battery for more than 30 seconds but less than 59 and still keep the radio's memory.
Sometimes disconnecting the battery for less than 30 seconds doesn't reset or erase error codes or faults.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login