Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
I had the clock backlight go out about 2 1/2 years ago, so I know how to R & R the cluster. This time I am going to replace all the bulbs. I don't want to do this again soon.

I have a printout from a PPBB old post (Chris in NH- 1/14/08) that shows the back of the cluster and he describes some of the bulb wattages. The dealer tells me that they only know that there are 3 light bulb types (3W, 1.5W, 1.2W). He told me that there is no indication which go where.

I am going to replace all the idiot lights (1.2w from post), the digital speedo & odo (1.5w from post). I cannot tell if the turn signal indicators have their own light bulb. How about the high beam, low fuel and coolant overheat indicators? Night time instrument display lighting too? Where does the 3w light bulb go?

The dealer does not have them in stock, so I want to pre-order and have them here before I dis-assemble the cluster.

If anyone can provide some assistance, I would really appreciate it.

'00 S
The dealer is right ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 25 August, 2011, at 4:39:36 pm
... only three types of bulbs, 3W, 1.5W and 1.2 W but multiples of each.
They don't know much more because this is what the computer shows them:

Item 3: 999.631.304.90 -- glass-base bulb 12V 3W Quantity X
Item 4: 999.631.303.90 -- glass-base bulb 12V 1.5W Quantity X
Item 5: 999.631.302.90 -- glass-base bulb 12V 1.2W Quantity X

Depending on the particular model year there will be different numbers of each in the cluster.

The larger green colored base is the 3.0W, the beige base is the 1.5W and the black base is the 1.2W

You really don't need to replace them all, because some of them will only come on when you turn on the ignition switch as a test.
The bulbs that should be preemptively replaced are the ones that get a lot of use and therefore are likely to burn out sooner:
Turn Signals and dependent on usage High Beam, Cruise Control, E-Brake, etc.

I'm sure you know, but here's a refresher course.
Once you remove the cluster to get access to its innards:

remove the clip from each end

Push open each one of the two connectors with a flat-blade screwdriver

then pry open the plastic tab

now you can open up the cluster

Here you can see where the turn signal bulbs are (only 2 of the green, 3W ones)
The white part is the front half of the cluster, looking at it's insides once it's been opened.
The black part is the rear half of the cluster.
This particular cluster, from 1999 has 11 of the 1.5W bulbs and 12 of the black 1.2W bulbs.

Hope this helps.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2011 05:09PM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
My thought process on the bulb replacements was similar (Those that get the most use). But, I may replace all of the idiot lights since these always illuminate on start-up. I have a little over 91K miles on the car.

If one of these went out in the near future and I didn't spend the extra $50 or $60 to replace all.....I would be pissed.
Hey Tony, I'm sure Pedro has covered everything, but I also wanted to add Tom Morris' write up...

Tom's Instrument Cluster Page
As I remember, it was very helpful and concise. Extra emphasis should be made that the prongs on the bottom of the cluster are very sharp. Don't ask my dash how we know.
I was told by Tech folks at Pellican Parts that it is necessary to disconnect the battery before getting at the instrument cluster. My digital speedo light is out (12V 1.5 W beige) located in center instrument cluster (Tach). Anyway, are you aware of this? I have radio code handy. Was told you could fry the whole unit if you short it out with screwdriver, etc.
I did not disconnect battery while replacing bulbs
dghii - Saturday, 3 December, 2011, at 10:55:24 pm
I've done this on a 98 and a 2000 and did not disconnect battery and encountered no problems.

FWIW, my son and I recently removed the instrument cluster on his BMW 323CI to install chrome trim rings. We disconnected the wiring harness without messing with the battery and had on issues.

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login