Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Engine Turnover Issue with 2009 2.9 Boxster
AS2003 - Tuesday, 30 August, 2011, at 10:53:16 pm
Hey gang: My 2009 daily-driver Boxster (2.9) is hesitating before turning over. The problem is most pronounced after the car has been sitting overnight. The dealer replaced the battery, but it has not addressed the problem. Any thoughts? I'm afraid it's going to leave me stranded at some point (but that's not keeping me from driving it!).

As background, I bought the car new and it has 29,000 miles. My previous Boxster was a 2003, hence the AS2003. That car had its engine replaced under warranty (IMS failure).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
at least my 2009 997S with DFI has a recall on the High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP). While mine isn't acting up, one of the signs is not turning over right away. Do you notice any loss in power/hesitation? That's another sign. I brought my car in for something else and the service tech told me about the recall. I believe they call them a silent recall. A normal recall has a notice mailed to owners.

Do a search for HPFP and see what you can find out. Other manufacturers have had issues with them as well. You might be able to research some of the issues and see if you have any of them.
Re: 2009 Base Engine is not a DFI
AS2003 - Wednesday, 31 August, 2011, at 9:19:31 am
Unfortunately, the 2009 2.9 base engine is not a DFI. There is no hesitation or disruption in power delivery once the car turns over. It doesn't appear to have thrown any codes out either, although during one particular slow start it did quickly state something with the word "workshop" in the trip computer display. I assume it said "take care to workshop," but it only briefly appeared. Odd.
If the starter doesn't engage at all
Roger987 - Wednesday, 31 August, 2011, at 10:24:17 am
It's likely the clutch pedal micro-switch.

I replaced mine a week ago and posted here about it at the time.

HTH
Dealer Checked the Battery Voltage and Charging
AS2003 - Wednesday, 31 August, 2011, at 12:47:44 pm
The dealer checked the Bbattery voltage and charging and told me everything looked fine. Per the clutch micro-switch, the car is attempting to turn over, so I don't think it's the switch. It's my understanding the car would do nothing if the micro-switch wasn't working.
Re: Dealer Checked the Battery Voltage and Charging
whall - Wednesday, 31 August, 2011, at 12:59:17 pm
You can recall warning messages on the OBC. In the MY10 Boxster Owner's Manual, the procedure is spelled out on Page 136: "INFO Warning Messages". I'm sure it is located on a similar page in the MY09 Owner's Manual.

Bill
Re: Dealer Checked the Battery Voltage and Charging
Roger987 - Wednesday, 31 August, 2011, at 2:05:27 pm
You're right - if the starter motor is engaging, then the micro-switch isn't the problem.

Wasn't sure what you meant by 'turning over'.
Can you describe the problem more?
Boxsterra - Thursday, 1 September, 2011, at 7:55:23 am
"turning over" usually refers to the engine rotating.

So are you saying that there is no delay before the engine rotates but there is a delay before it actually catches (starts)?
Re: Can you describe the problem more?
AS2003 - Thursday, 1 September, 2011, at 10:01:22 pm
Yep, there is a delay before it catches. It's back at the dealer. I'll report back when I know more.
Some cars...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 31 August, 2011, at 12:55:17 pm
... Tend to have that hesitation.
Could also be the ignition switch acting up.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login