Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
It needs a new plugin.

Kind of neat, you can go full screen in the 3D mode that needs the plugin.
New look for 991, how about the Boxster?
Bobtesa - Saturday, 3 September, 2011, at 9:16:56 am
I'm not sure I like the looks of the new 911, the 991. I'll check it out in true 3D at a dealer. I wonder what this portends for the redesigned Boxster. I'm a little skeptical of how a Boxster will look based on the 991's new looks. Especially the rear.

When is the new Boxster supposed to debut?

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
Re: New look for 991, how about the Boxster?
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 3 September, 2011, at 10:18:07 am
Overall, I like the look of the new 991. I like the LED brake lights and signals. My wife's BMW has LED's for those and they REALLY show up well.

I don't care for the plain Jane side mirrors.

My main concern is for the placement of the shifter. When you look at the web special, you can clearly see with the new Panamara style center consol, that the shifter sits at least 4 - 5' higher than the current one. I'm just afraid that they'll have the same rising center consol and location in the new Boxster. I had checked the shifter position in a Panamara earlier this week. It's OK if you want a PDK but nor very ergonomic if you prefer to shift yourself. (And to let you in on a little secret - I prefer shifting myself. winking smiley )

As for the new 981, I've read in a few souces that it might debut at the Detroit Auto show and go on sale here in the Spring - which seems like s logical time to put a convertible on sale.
From what you can tell from all the spy pictures, the clam shell will be gone, with the back of the roof having a steeper rake to it, which I think will make it look sleeker with the top up. Not sure how it will look with the top down.

Here's a link to one of the articles in the British CAR magazine.
[www.carmagazine.co.uk]
I agree about the center console. It looks like it would put the stick in an awkwardly high position. Maybe the center console is different for manual and pdk?

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
and the right hand's three o'clock position.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Re: CGT shifter was placed high on the center console
986rgt - Saturday, 3 September, 2011, at 4:28:19 pm
Porsche said it was so your hand was not away from the wheel too long, made for quicker shifts when hands were on the wheel.

Steve
Guards Red 1999
I'm not a race car driver, but I play one in 2nd and 3rd gear grinning smiley
Well, the answer to that was yes and no, but the "yes" part was eliminated after I visited the dealer earlier this week.

Just a few things that I've wondering about with the new 981 had me thinking of maybe getting a current model - and none of them have anything to do with wanting a new car because I'm perfectly happy with the CURVEN8R. Love it as much as I always have, actually more now with the Short Shifter..smiling bouncing smiley

My concern was that in the future, on a Boxster, you might not be able to get:
- a flat six
- a manual - and I think that one will still be a little ways off
- an ergonomic interior - in the new 991, they seem to have gone for the space age look with the center consol, like in the Panamara. to get a shifter like Pedro's in there, you'd have to reach down into the consol to find it. eye popping smiley It's got to be 4 - 5" higher than the current location. Kind of reminded me of the location of Ape Hangers on a Harley. eye rolling smiley

Anyway, the "yes" part was eliminated since the option of ordering a car like I would have wanted isn't there any more. Dealers can't order anymore 2012 987's. What they have on the lots is all they'll get until the 981 arrives sometime in the spring.

I looked at a Platinum Silver, but it just looks like dirty gray to me. It doesn't have the sparkle of Arctic or GT Silver.

Guess I'm just too picky. smiling smiley
If you want one the way they are now, you'd better check and see what's in stock. I'd be very surprised if the interior consol of the Boxster/Cayman will be much different than the new 991. To help keep costs down, Porsche will want to use things like consols, switches, door handles etc across as many lines as possible. If you look at the new 991 switches on the consol, you'll see that they're the same as on the Panamara.
And there's talk of electro-assist steering, but if Porsche does it, I'm confident it will feel good. I'll get used to whatever instrumentation and electrical control changes occur. Oh yeah: bring back Seal Grey Metallic! Why they got rid of their dead neutral medium value gray metallic is beyond me.

You'll probably get the flat six for now.

Most of the things I've read, it wil be a 7 speed in the Boxster - like someone suggested, maybe to try to improve the city cycle mileage. I think I read somewhere that the gear ratios in the manual and PDK are the same. If so, I think 7th will be an overdrive for economical Interstate cruising. If you watch the Web special - under driving, check out the 7 speed, PDK video. In PDK mode, it shows 125 kph / 75 mph at about 2200 rpm in 7th. I wouldn't have minded having that on our California trip. So for most of your driving you'd just be using 1 - 6th gears.

Since the 991 has start-stop, chances are good that the Boxster will have it also - again, trying to get good mileage in the city cycle.
Missing Gauge on 991?
Bobtesa - Saturday, 3 September, 2011, at 5:33:29 pm
I'm not familiar with the cluster of the 911s, but in the Porsche website pics of the 991 interior the right middle "gauge" space is simply filled with "Carrera S". What the deal with that?
Re: Missing Gauge on 991?
jwdbox - Saturday, 3 September, 2011, at 6:12:51 pm
Probably just the electronic visual that first comes up when the car is turned on. My guess is it is then replaced by normal displays. A number of cars currently have a similar set up. cool smiley
Re: Missing Gauge on 991?
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 3 September, 2011, at 7:36:01 pm
I agree with Jeff. Again, if you take a look at the Web special under Discover and Instruments, it looks like the "blank" gauge is showing at least some of the OBC information. It's not clear enough to see what other things it's showing.
Re: Missing Gauge on 991? Found it
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 3 September, 2011, at 8:12:34 pm
Under Driving Efficiencey, this comes up. So it does seem to be an OBC display. In this case showing battery, coolant temp, oil temp, oil pressure, time and ambient temperature.

2 things strike me
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Saturday, 3 September, 2011, at 8:21:51 pm
8 and 9k red-lines

the number of gauges or data displays...I count at least 15 different ones
Re: 2 things strike me
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 3 September, 2011, at 8:52:08 pm
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC
8 and 9k red-lines

the number of gauges or data displays...I count at least 15 different ones

I'm not sure why they don't have the whole area between 8 and 9k in red.

There are a couple of repeats in the readouts. The double gauge at the very left is oil temp and oil pressure.

Once you add PDK, you also get a setting diagram in the tach - PRND and the middle rectangle shows which of the 7 gears you're in. Lots of information, that's for sure.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login