Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Yesterday I was watching the Baltimore ALMS race. One of the 911s crashed during qualifying (The TRG entry? Over-steered back end into the wall.). The announcer said that it was great that they got the car back together for race day.

My questions: Are they really repairing the crashed car or are they substituting a spare car in its place? I assume that the car had extensive uni-body rear end damage, so they would need to get it on a Cellete rig. I thought that this type of body and paint work required a lot of time (And paint curing periods.). Are they doing these type of repairs in the less than 24 hour period? If so, very impressive.
IMSA Rules state ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 5 September, 2011, at 2:41:12 pm
6.7.3 A car must be qualified by a Driver officially entered to drive that car.

So you can't replace a broken car with a spare unless the drive re-qualifies it.
Most of the time extensive repairs are done overnight to the qualified car in order to get it ready for raceday.
The suspension and many body components are manufactured so they shear off (or crumple) and don't do much damage to the chassis.
They can also adjust minor issues by realigning and re-balancing the car.
It is truly amazing what the techs can do in a matter of hours.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login