Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Speedo Off
bar10dah - Friday, 9 September, 2011, at 9:52:24 am
Verifying against a GPS, it seems that my speed readout is about 3 MPH high at speeds below 55 MPH and 4 MPH high at speeds 55 MPH and greater [I've only checked up to 75 MPH (indicated 79)]. Any idea why, and if I can get the speedo adjusted?

Appears the 18" wheels are the original wheels that came with the car. Tires are the correct sizes.
Re: Speedo Off
Eric (Plug Guy) - Friday, 9 September, 2011, at 9:57:13 am
SOP....Porsches have been this way for a very long time, usually 3-5mph readout higher than actual. Back in the 996 era, there were some software updates to correct it when owners figured this out. Since, no big deal.
Re: Thanks, guess just live with it.
bar10dah - Friday, 9 September, 2011, at 7:24:11 pm
After all, it's pretty easy to subtract 3 while below 55 and subtract 4 when 55 or greater. Was just hoping for an easy fix. Not a big deal, though.

On a similar note, my two '05 Hondas have accurate speedos. But the odometers were reading about 4% higher. Most others were reporting variances between 2% and 4%. Honda was eventually sued in a class action suit and in the end had to extend their warranties (to include extended warranties) by 5%. www.odosettlementinfo.com

My '11 Honda appears to have a fairly accurate odometer, but I haven't really checked to make sure.

I'll have to check to see if my Box's odometer increments correctly, just out of curiosity. I'm waaay out of my warranty period. However, if that too is reading higher than it should, I wonder why no one has ever challenged Porsche?
That's about the most accurate reading I've seen mentioned here.
Laz - Friday, 9 September, 2011, at 1:45:18 pm
There are possibly apocryphal stories about German or European speedometer read out standards being the reason for the optimistic indications.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
eye popping smiley Whoa! Didn't realize what I said...
bar10dah - Friday, 9 September, 2011, at 7:26:47 pm
No speedos here!

grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2011 07:27PM by bar10dah. (view changes)
What? not even speedos??? *NM*
TheFarmer - Saturday, 10 September, 2011, at 7:53:16 pm
Re: Speedo Off
Paul S. - Saturday, 10 September, 2011, at 1:02:37 pm
As others said, par for the course. Other than my 06 Club Coupe, my 5 prior Posches (996's & 986's) all were 3-4 MPH off, similar to yours. The Club Coupe is barely off, by 1-2 MPH, and is the closest I've ever had.

Current Porsche: PCA Club Coupe 2 of 50

Past: 02 986 S

01 996 Turbo

00 Millenium Coupe

99 996 C2

99 Boxster
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login