Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Recommended Maintenance
Steve - Friday, 9 September, 2011, at 10:27:22 am
My 2000 Boxster S transmission has failed. The second gear synchro has been going out for a while so I finally broke down and I'm having it fixed. While the transmission is out should I have any other routine maintenance done. The mechanic recommends maybe replacing the throw-out bearing ($151). I know the rear main seal on these cars can be a problem but at this time mine does not leak, replace cost is about $125. I've also heard some people have had to replace those more than once so is it a good idea to remove one that works? The mileage on the car is 52K.
Re: Recommended Maintenance
dghii - Friday, 9 September, 2011, at 12:36:41 pm
There are lots of things to consider with the tranny out although not all may be worth considering for your particular car.

How many miles on your clutch? Flywheel conditon? What about replacement of the IMS bearing?
Coolant resevour tank is suppose to be much easier to change with the tranny out, as is the AOS.
Oil fill tube cracked?
Transmission mounts?
Back up light switch?

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
Re: Recommended Maintenance
Steve - Friday, 9 September, 2011, at 7:41:10 pm
Cluch parts look good, but the coolant resevour does leak so I may have it changed out. I'll also have the other items checked

Thanks for the input
I'd check all clutch parts - installation is equal to parts. Plus
grant - Tuesday, 13 September, 2011, at 9:58:25 pm
i'll bury it down here to avoid the usual panic and million line thread -

i not only would consider doing the IMS replacement. I did it on mine.

With the tranny and flywheel out, you are staring at the IMS. But the part. Pay your several hundred dollars. Be done with it.

Grant
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login