Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Hey guys, Repost of this question. I have a 97 Boxster with 80,000 miles. This is the second time I have noticed that the fuel gauge needle suddenly drops to empty with the yellow light at the empty line flashing( blinking) for a few even though I have enough fuel. After a few minutes, the needle goes back to where it was and the yellow light stops flashing. Is there any problem with the fuel indicator?
Sorry for having to repost ...
TheFarmer - Saturday, 10 September, 2011, at 7:50:44 pm
The answer is Yes, there is a problem with the fuel indicator if you have fuel and it says no.

But seriously, folks, this sounds like a problem with electronics between (and including) the fuel tank sensor and the main computer. Perhaps the fuel level sensor is occasionally sending a bad signal, or perhaps the wires occasionally lose contact or perhaps the computer sometimes throws an error.

Has anyone seen this kind of thing?
It's probably...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Saturday, 10 September, 2011, at 10:59:25 pm
... wiring related.
Maybe a pinched wire or internally broken.
The sending unit interfaces directly with the dial cluster.
Hook it up to a PSTII and run a diagnosis. It'll teel you what's going on.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login