Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
The other day, while putting the top up, I heard what sounded like friction noises and they sounded like they would be coming from the sliding rails but I am not sure. So, I think I want to lubricate the top mechanism. How do I do that and what lubricant do I use? Obviously I can see the joints and sliding rails so what do I use? I have the typical stuff on hand, WD40, silicone spray, teflon "dry" spray, and lithium grease in a can. I don't think I want to gunk it up and attract dirt no?

Recommendations?
I was thinking along these lines yesterday as well...
Clam - Saturday, 10 September, 2011, at 8:38:03 am
Bought some lithium grease a year ago, but haven't done anything to the top yet. Wanting some guidance on what parts to put it on.
Maurice???? Come in Maurice???? smiling smiley

Would it help if I took some pics of the top mechanics and then posted them, with the idea that someone with top lubricating knowledge (hereafter reffered to as, TLK ) could point out some key areas?

Clam
I use...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Saturday, 10 September, 2011, at 11:02:01 pm
... White Lithium Grease once per year on the clamshell's rails and a squirt or two on every pivot point and moving joint.
Don't use WD40 because it's not a good (lasting) lubricant.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login