Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Engine compartment fan question.
dghii - Friday, 9 September, 2011, at 12:41:51 pm
On the 98 Boxster I picked up a couple of weeks ago, I notice that my engine fan (passenger side engine compartment intake fan) will run the first time I start the car in the moring. The fan will run for a minute or two and then turn off. The engine compartment is obviously not warm after sitting all night so I would not expect the fan to run at that time.

The fan does not necessarily turn on every time I start the car (makes sense) and I've rarely heard it run after driving around town. I have not located a sensor but assume there must be one to trigger the relay for the fan.

Anyone have any input?

Thanks,
Don

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
Here's a starting point
Boxsterra - Friday, 9 September, 2011, at 2:28:13 pm
(it's nice we're starting to build up our own useful archive)

[pedrosboard.com]
Thanks
dghii - Friday, 9 September, 2011, at 3:21:14 pm
I know my system is not operating correctly as there is no way that the engine compartment temperature is greater than 60 degrees C after sitting all night. I just need some addtional information such as the temperature sensor location and testing parameters.

I know I can swap relays but I don't think that will be the issue.

dghii
Here's an Amazon link to it:

[www.amazon.com]

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2011 04:04PM by Laz. (view changes)
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Air pump? Ok, maybe
dghii - Friday, 9 September, 2011, at 11:28:13 pm
I guess I'll have to read up on the air pump...My 2000 Boxster S does'nt seem to have the same behavior.

dghii
The secondary...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Saturday, 10 September, 2011, at 11:06:32 pm
... air injection system can become quite noisy.
It's only function in life is to add fresh oxygen to the catalytic converters until they warm up.
This means that they generally only come on when you first fire up the engine from a cold start.
The secondary air injection system is only required by the US (for CA) and is not present in European cars even though their environmental requirements are stricter than ours.
My '98's secondary pump had been making a lot of whine lately, so about three months ago I decided that it was enough.
I reprogrammed my ECU to RoW spec and ripped out the pump and all it's ancillary plumbing. Because it's now RoW there's no CEL.
Problem solved.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Guess I'm now wondering why I've never heard it on my 2000S?
dghii - Sunday, 11 September, 2011, at 12:16:41 am
I thought there might be an issue with my 98 but know I wonder how come I've never heard it in my 2000S. Neither car has thrown a code or CEL.

Pedro, I am unfamiliar with the RoW Spec. Can you tell us more about it?

Thank you.

dghii
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login