Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Engine failures
Jules - Monday, 12 September, 2011, at 9:29:36 pm
I haven't been lurking much lately, so pardon me if this is old hat. Have we ever determined the frequency of IMS failures and/or RMS failures as to model years, mileage etc. I recall Mike did a survey on this but I can't recall if the data came up with something that was statiistcally reliable. Would appreciate your in put.
Re: Engine failures
Alcantera - Monday, 12 September, 2011, at 10:36:07 pm
Jules please don't take this personally but the guys on this board are so tired of this subject. You can find a ton of info all over the net and in the archives.We love these cars or we would not be here . So post a picture,tell a story, show us a hack or ask how to fix something and we are receptive .
Re: Engine failures
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Tuesday, 13 September, 2011, at 12:47:01 am
I just passed 105k on my '99 (did it passing a slow pack of 5 cars on highway 4 near Farmington, CA at ~85mph) I listened closely, but my original IMS and RMS said, "kick it in the ass, giddy-up!" My (car's) seals are 100% reliable.
Most likely...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 13 September, 2011, at 9:26:16 am
... by Team 6!

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Quick answer: No. And we never likely will. But...
grant - Tuesday, 13 September, 2011, at 2:40:49 pm
I have tow data points.

One is personal poll. 5 of us with M96 cars were hanging at the track talking. of the 5 2 had IMS failures that took out their motors. That's huge.

Two is a subsequent discussion with the head mechanic at a well know tuner shop. he quips out, when someone mentions it "I have seen one failed IMS All the others we did as preventative. Some were more worn than others." That suggests its far LESS than feared.

So i conclude its not great, but not the end of the world. The end of the world occurred last June anyway, or so i heard.

Grant

ps: i replaced mine when i did a clutch just so i could stop worrying. About the same cost as a set of track tires and race pads and less than the insurance policies people buy in their abject terror.
Re: Quick answer: No. And we never likely will. But...
Jules - Tuesday, 13 September, 2011, at 3:11:48 pm
Thanks Grant - much appreciated.
Amusing typo in your first sentence *NM*
Boxsterra - Tuesday, 13 September, 2011, at 5:36:32 pm
Maybe that's what he literally meant. Grant?
Laz - Tuesday, 13 September, 2011, at 6:29:44 pm
Disregarding the rest of his post, of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2011 06:34PM by Laz. (view changes)
yes it is :-)
grant - Tuesday, 13 September, 2011, at 9:53:58 pm
but alas, not some subconscious message. Just a typo.
Re: the guys on this board are so tired of this subject.
Rev Dennis - Tuesday, 13 September, 2011, at 9:05:19 pm
People who drive Fords don't have this conversation.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login