Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Does this sound legit?
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Wednesday, 14 September, 2011, at 12:05:37 am
Saw this on babblers.org tonight. Does it sound like gorilla marketing / fear mongering?

[www.babblers.org]

Today, 06:54 PM

Warren

Default 01 Redbox
My 2001 2.7 Boxster has 102,000 mi and after reading various posts I am afraid to drive it. I got it with 78,000 mi and change oil at most every 500 miles and more like 3000 mi. Last change I had little flakes in the filter which spurred me to research what it might be. IMS failure seemed to come up more than anything else from reading and talking to people. Obviously this car has run over 100,000 miles without an IMS Failure. I did have a cam warning which quickly disappeared in the past 500 miles. Occasional low speed miss but I have never replaced the spark plugs- so that could be an explanation. The low speed miss is supposed to be indicative of imminent IMS failure. I just do not know what is real. Right now the car is a garage queen.

The question is drive it? park it? repair it? Unload it?

Are 2001 2.7 engines better than the earlier engines or the same?

Flat6Innovations is fairly close < 200 miles away but after discussions with them the cost to do all the preventative work is more than the car is worth. They do seem extremely knowledgeable.

Drives like nothing else I have had! Darn shame to have a car I can't drive.

Any ideas?????
Does seem suspicious *NM*
Boxsterra - Wednesday, 14 September, 2011, at 12:21:03 pm
Could it be a plant? Sure. But i dont assume that. Most people have no idea what an IMS is or how to get at it. And if you read Jake's web page stuff, you'd $h1t your pants, and be shocked by the cost of R&R (many *times* what i paid).

So, who knows? But i tend to take these things as posted. I assume 95% of the porsche public has no clue what one is. They may know "the motors blow up" or "the rms can toast your motor" or any kind of misunderstanding or half-truth. But they rarely know much.

Grant
Going by a flash of headlights or a wave,
Laz - Saturday, 17 September, 2011, at 4:48:37 pm
a high percentage of Cayenne owners don't seem to know what a Porsche is, let alone an IMS.

Ok, back to the race.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
..oh and what was up and Angellelli, and how did it resolve itself?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2011 07:16PM by grant. (view changes)
Nice looking track; reminds me a bit of Lime Rock.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2011 07:39PM by Laz. (view changes)
Mid Ohio is, to me, a roller-coaster
grant - Saturday, 17 September, 2011, at 9:12:44 pm
ideal for boxsters really. Its a technical, tight, track that rewards balance and handling.

Some very fast sections too - two front straights linked by a deceptively fast sweeper (turn 10); a long back straight with a kink (of course); and the roller-coaster - s section of up/down, left/right, on camber/off with the middle section called "madness". Ends with a right hand, cresting right (jump turn, sorta like the uphill at LRP).

I love it.

Its Mike's home track, lucky dog.

Grant
Re: Mid Ohio is, to me, a roller-coaster
MikenOH - Sunday, 18 September, 2011, at 1:06:29 pm
Roller coaster is a good description, Grant. I can't say I get motion sickness at any other track, but I do going through "madness". TG for Bonine smiling smiley.

WG probably has more elevation changes, but you do get a straight of some length between turns to gather yourself. At MO, from 7 (the right-hander after the back straight) through 11 (IIRC, it the blind right hander going over a rise that opens up to "Thunder Valley"), it's one quick turn after another--bang, bang, bang.

Overall, it's a fun, technical track that is well kept--very smooth asphalt. The only downside I can think of is that they use sealer extensively to protect the surface and it can be a real skating rink in the rain. When you see most of the black group leaving their cars in the garages when the track is wet, it's a good indicator of just how slick it can get.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login