Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Boxster does Los Angeles Crest Highway
Tino - Saturday, 17 September, 2011, at 1:40:04 pm
A while back, a big wildfire (nicknamed "the Station fire") closed the Los Angeles Crest highway for about a year, and it only reopened a few months ago. With the new Boxster sitting in the garage, my wife and I decided that we would go and take a look before something else happens. This would be our first time on this road. When we left home, it was sunny and warm, but as we got to the lower reaches of the highway just above La Canada-Flintridge (northeast of Los Angeles), coastal fog had rolled in and we thought that this would be the only view we would get:

It was also rather cold. Fortunately, as we climbed the mountain, the fog started to clear:

The temperature also started to go up, which is the opposite of what you'd expect as climb in elevation. Halfway up, it was time to put the top down:

And we had a glorious drive the rest of the way. In this section, I was humming that John Denver tune "Take me home, Boxster road"...or something like that.

In places, you can still see strong evidence of the fire that ravaged this area, sometimes right to the edge of the road:

Finally, the road ends at this humdrum intersection a few miles east of the town of Wrightwood:

After that, it was all boring highways until we got back to reality, which for us was the traffic in downtown Palm Springs:

Now, only about 150 miles to complete the break-in.
The first shot has nice composition and beautiful tones & contrasts.
Laz - Saturday, 17 September, 2011, at 3:27:16 pm
The white of the car picks up on the fog, and the pavement emphasizes the neutral tones. The wood posts and box extend the deep contrast given by the black parts of the car, and bracket it nicely. The high contrast of the car vs. the pavement and fog is repeated by the posts vs. the pastel earthy ground tones....
Ok, back to the Mid Ohio race.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
That sure looks like a permagrin road
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 17 September, 2011, at 5:06:41 pm
What a great way of spending a day and enjoying your new Boxster.

Only 150 miles to go before you can let the whole orchestra play in all its glory. I'm sure you just can't wait. smiling smiley
Re: Boxster does Los Angeles Crest Highway
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Saturday, 17 September, 2011, at 5:45:54 pm
Beautiful shots of a great time!
I remember that road fondly. used to drive my 914 on it.
frogster - Saturday, 17 September, 2011, at 8:17:38 pm
sometimes i'm surprised i'm still alive. i would hit 80 MPH in some places on that road. Stupid youth. I shudder to think about it.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Wrightwood. 60 miles of twisties that every Boxster owner would enjoy. You have to watch for cafe bike rirders and CHP until you hit Newcombs Ranch (~15 miles in). Thereafter you have the road to yourself, watching out for only rockfall debris and darting rodents.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login