Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Perceptive video comparing Cayman S with the R
Laz - Sunday, 18 September, 2011, at 1:23:22 pm
I just missed Motorweek's feature on the Cayman R, and in searching for the video (which may not yet be available,) I came across this:

[www.youtube.com]

You might want to look at it outside this forum so as to see it full screen.

Judging by the rear tires' smoking, I think the R's LSD provides the single biggest performance difference. Interesting comment as to the R's wheels being the lightest Porsche currently uses.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Yesterday I was at...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Sunday, 18 September, 2011, at 4:41:50 pm
... Sebring for a 2-day event and Porsche brought out two Cayman Rs for Hot Lap Demos.
No doubt that it is a very impressive performance car but even though it has a bit more power than the Spyder I felt that it didn't perform as well.
Both cars have outstanding brakes and the Cayman R probably has the edge off the line but diving into and coming out of turns the Spyder does it better.
This latter feature IMNSHO gives the edge to the ragtop.
I tried to put my obvious preference for convertibles over coupes aside when comparing them and I'm confident that the Spyder driven by the same pilot would probably do quicker laps.
In both cases they were similarly equipped and with Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login