Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
This past weekend I took Harvey out for a SPIN...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 20 September, 2011, at 6:45:22 pm
... literally.
I enjoyed it tremendously, but I'm not sure about him.
I was lucky enough to have Harvey as a student driver at our last DE event in Sebring.
Harvey is a great driver. Excellent car control and got very consistent and fast.
So much so that at the end of the day I recommended him to BLUE status (Advanced Student).
After we did a couple of stints in his car he asked me if he could come for a ride in my car. I said sure.
We went out and I was showing him the line of the Boxster, when right after turn 4 we spun!
Harvey had never spun before, so I'm sure he was a little rattled. especially when he wasn't driving.
It was my fault. I had just been fiddling with the pressures and they weren't up to full temp.
After that lap, we went back and all was good.
I think that spinning should be a subject that's taught.
If you know what to expect from your car, you actually have quite a bit of control, believe it or not.
Harvey may not get back in a car with me driving, again!
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2011 08:51PM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
Pedro (Weston, FL)

I think that spinning should be a subject that's taught.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

I totally agree, Pedro. In the days before Sunday shopping here in Ontario, I used to take my car out to the local mall parking lot after a snowstorm, get the car sideways and see how quickly I could get it back under control. It's amazing how practice gives you more confidence in poor road conditions.
High performance driving schools do teach this..
MikenOH - Tuesday, 20 September, 2011, at 8:56:14 pm
at least at Bonderant they did. With the skid cars, the instructor could introduce understeer ,oversteer and spin at the touch of a button and it's a great way to learn how to react.
I know they do...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 20 September, 2011, at 11:37:43 pm
... I'm referring to the Clubs and PCA in particular at their DEs.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Re: This past weekend I took Harvey out for a SPIN...
db997S - Wednesday, 21 September, 2011, at 8:26:03 am
It's also good for a student to see the instructor make an error like that one. Makes him more aware that if an experienced person can spin a car due to cold tires, can't take anything for granted.

Glad it was a spin and not a crash.
I can ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 21 September, 2011, at 12:21:01 pm
... assure you that it wasn't the tires.
Harvey and I had been talking about spins in the first session, so it may have been accidentally on purpose, but we'll never know winking smiley
The Kumho Victoracers are excellent tires and very predictable.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Yea...Pedro was just showing off a little....
Harvey in FL - Wednesday, 21 September, 2011, at 2:15:00 pm
Pedro (Weston, FL)
... assure you that it wasn't the tires.
Harvey and I had been talking about spins in the first session, so it may have been accidentally on purpose, but we'll never know winking smiley
The Kumho Victoracers are excellent tires and very predictable.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

may be - maybe not. Actually, it was the warm up lap with no passing. Pedro lined up last in the grid. Last, but why last. So, I guess it was show time.
Re: Yea...Pedro was just showing off a little....
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 21 September, 2011, at 6:39:24 pm
Harvey in FL
may be - maybe not. Actually, it was the warm up lap with no passing. Pedro lined up last in the grid. Last, but why last. So, I guess it was show time.

When you line up last on the grid there's no one behind you for quite a while winking smiley

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Harvey in FL - Wednesday, 21 September, 2011, at 12:16:04 pm
Pedro (Weston, FL)
... literally.
Harvey had never spun before, so I'm sure he was a little rattled. especially when he wasn't driving.

NOT true....Believe me, I was not rattled at all. Pedro is a great pro instructor. I was in good hands. In fact, next time I need him to show me the racing line.

For those who want to see me, including my ESBB @ Sebring, take a look.

BTW: on Sunday a Corvette was over driving at the same place on the tack and he went into the wall.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2011 12:19PM by Harvey in FL. (view changes)
Totally enjoyed that, thanks for sharing! I'm know the human eye and the camera lens are vastly different, but there were many areas where I wondered how the driver identified where the intended track was going? eye popping smiley Great ride!
Cris - Thursday, 22 September, 2011, at 11:10:03 am
We didn't get to meet @ Sebring, but nice driving Harvey... And congrats on getting bumped! My fiancee was running in the green group as well - you may have seen/passed her in the grey BMW 135i. You are correct - having a good instructor is absolutely critical. Kudos to Pedro! Her instructor had to spent about 2 full sessions undoing the bad habits (brake ~300' too early, coast in to turns!) she was taught by another instructor from another club. By end of 2nd day, she was doing much better and I anticipate she will get bumped next soon. Anyways, hope to meet you in person @ the next one!

Cris

Here is my video from Saturday - I am using a ContourHD cam mounted to the Boxster rollbar.
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl3fz4phCLU[/video]
Are you sure you spun because of......
Rev Dennis - Friday, 23 September, 2011, at 4:49:53 pm
tire pressures? Maybe it was due to oil left on the track by another leaking Porsche! smiling smiley

Sorry folks....just had to get that in.....
... Corvette which blew it's engine.
I was ahead of him coming out onto the back straight, where he passed me.
He got about 100 feet in front of me and before he got to 17 all I saw was a humongous cloud.
I thought about "Days of Thunder" and how you should aim for the cloud of smoke, " 'cause the car ain't there no more".
That's exactly what I did. Went through the cloud with my steering wheel straight and my feet off the pedals.
They were right: the car wasn't there anymore, he'd been hugging 17 and spreading oil all over the inside of the turn.
It took about an hour for the crews to clean up the mess.
On Sunday, another vette mixed it's oil and coolant and a third one blew it's engine. A fourth one (yes, another vette) hit the tire wall.
It was a great day for Porsche, not so much so for the vettes.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login