Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
A/C Condensation and a wet passenger side floor
dghii - Tuesday, 20 September, 2011, at 9:46:58 pm
My son has been driving my 2000 Boxster S while I sort out the 98 Boxster I picked up a few weeks ago. My son said that he had noticed the passenger side floorboard getting wet lately. Last night, we swapped cars so I could do a few things to the car. As I worked on it last night, I confirmed that the carpet was very wet. I got it dried out overnight and decided to investigate today.

Today during lunchtime, I removed the panel on the underside of the passenger side dash and drove the car with the A/C on and the top down. I noticed that the outside of the A/C unit developed quite a bit of condensation which is no big surprise there).given the high 88 degree, humid Florida day. When I stopped and left the car running for a bit, I verified that I did have a decent amount of water coming out from the condensation drain.

Tonight, I pulled the drain line from the back of the A/C unit and ran a wire down the drain line without a problem. I was able to pour water down the drain as well and it all appeared to come out quickly. I connected the drain line back up and put things back together.

I think the problem is that my son has been driving around with the top down and the A/C on all the time and that the condensation on the outside of the unit is dripping down the inside of the panel and onto the carpet. Now I know that the easy thing would be to tell my son 'don't drive top down and A/C on'. The thing is, you should be able to.

Am I missing something obvious.

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
I've experienced that, too. The AC's cooling the ducting down a lot.
Laz - Wednesday, 21 September, 2011, at 8:53:32 am
And having the water getting into the electricals, or unprotected ferrous bits can't be good.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Think I might mess with the box a bit.
dghii - Wednesday, 21 September, 2011, at 1:56:50 pm
I think I'll see if it's possible to add a layer of insulation to the AC box to reduce or hopefully eliminate the condensation.

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login