Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Clutch sticking and not disengaging
litlchi - Sunday, 25 September, 2011, at 7:41:30 pm
I have a stock 03 Boxster S and today after my first set of runs at the autocross, my clutch started feeling really odd. I started to notice this when I was starting my car for my second set of runs (maybe 3 hours after my first set of laps. It almost felt like the clutch was sticking. There used to be fairly little travel before the clutch started to engage and it was at a very distinct point. Now, it feels like the clutch pedal is lighter when I depress it, then sticks and gets heavier about 1/4 of the way in, then the clutch seems to slip a bit (I think) until I release the clutch completely. My brake fluid was changed about 1.5 years ago and still looks pretty clean in the reservoir, and is near the max line. Is this a sign my clutch is dying? I'm sure I drove the car slightly harder today than I normally do but didn't think I was really abusing the clutch that much today. I don't hear any strange noises when I shift gears, though it does seem a bit harder to get into reverse. Not sure if that's psychological though. Don't know if it makes any difference, but it was really hot and humid today in South Florida. Any suggestions would be helpful.
It may be ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Sunday, 25 September, 2011, at 9:04:22 pm
... the clutch power spring that broke.
It wouldn't to bleed the brakes/clutch fluid but I don't think that's the problem.
I only ran in the morning runs since I had to be home at 1:00 PM.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: It may be ...
macnjam - Thursday, 29 September, 2011, at 11:46:03 am
Well, the clutch died tuesday. The pedal resistance changed again and now it is slipping in a major way. I took it to my dealer Hennessy in Atlanta, and the are putting in a new clutch. The open question is the flywheel. I have an extended warranty that covers flywheel but Hennessy has to prove to them it needs replacement. TSB 1360 explains procedure to test the flywheel.

For those future searchers who have clutch issues...

1. Day one Pedal resistance became softer and I had a vibration on engagement/disengagement of clutch
2. 3 days later (~60 miles) clutch resistance became even softer and started to slip in a major way

This was all without prior warning....

I bought car in 2009 with 56 miles. It now has 85k. I still love it and knew this may coming. I put 90 k on a BMW E36 M3 from new including MANY auto crosses without a clutch replacement and same on a 1992 Miata, so think I am not a clutch abuser. But buying a used car this is one of the inherent risks.

Cost is 2k for clutch & engine mount replacement. 10 hours labor @ 125 hour. I will get 10% off as a PCA member. I know this is high but they warranty work for two years and I trust them. I had a bad experience with a local shop so am gun shy. As to flywheel I will fight it out with warranty place. They did cover my water pump so I think this will be worked out once Hennessy sends them pictures and validates if it is defective.

Finally, I am a lurker on this board.... Pedro for president!

Joe in Atlanta

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2011 11:48AM by macnjam. (view changes)
I might be having the same symptoms
IFlyLow - Monday, 26 September, 2011, at 7:19:25 pm
Sounds similar to what mine is doing, though not exactly. The travel feels normal on mine, no distinct point where it gets harder/easier. The clutch will not disengage until the pedal is on the floor. I think even then, it is still barely engaged, since it is harder to put into gear, and I feel a slight bump when it does go in.

I bled the clutch, though not with the power bleeder, so I might try it again, as I may not have bled it completely.

Please post whatever you find out, because I am still looking for a cure.
Mine isn't the slave cylinder angry smiley *NM*
IFlyLow - Friday, 30 September, 2011, at 7:00:03 pm
Re: Clutch sticking and not disengaging
litlchi - Thursday, 29 September, 2011, at 10:28:25 pm
I ended up taking my car to the local dealer. They said my entire clutch was bad and told me to replace the entire assembly. I haven't gotten my car back yet but they are charging about 2100 for it. I am kind of surprised that the clutch only lasted 53k miles. Got the car used so I'm not entirely sure how it was driven prior to myself.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login