Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Clunking sound passenger side rear
ericp - Monday, 26 September, 2011, at 5:48:19 pm
Hi guys,

About 2 weeks ago I was driving and I heard a sound like someone threw a rock at the side of my car ('01 Base 130k miles). I couldn't see anything but since then I have started to hear a thunking sound. It happens if I get on it from a stop but then press the clutch in quickly while at high RPMs and shift. The thunk happens as soon as the clutch is fully disengaged. It also happens if I start out then say realize traffic is coming so press clutch quickly to stop. This always happens when pressing in the clutch. I had a full clutch repalcement last year including flywheel. The sound I heard before this makes me think maybe a spring broke not allowing the clutch to engage when quickly engaged. If i ease into starting and drive normally with no real acceleration then everything appears to behave nicely.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Eric
Re: When was the last time you changed the front motor mount?
ericp - Tuesday, 27 September, 2011, at 10:15:56 am
It's never been changed, is it easy to check?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2011 10:16AM by ericp. (view changes)
In that case, I would say that is most likely the problem
Boxsterra - Tuesday, 27 September, 2011, at 11:29:42 am
I am assuming that when you say "thunk happens as soon as the clutch is fully disengaged" you actually mean "engaged" (clutch pedal released).

There is no way to check the mount without removing it. But removing it is not terribly difficult. And with that many miles on it I can guarantee that it is shot. The motor mounts only last 50k-ish miles.

Pedro has nice instructions on how to replace the mount here: [pedrosgarage.com]
Re: In that case, I would say that is most likely the problem
ericp - Tuesday, 27 September, 2011, at 1:45:24 pm
Thanks! I'll check it out.
Re: What $ are we talking
gregsterInMO - Tuesday, 27 September, 2011, at 5:36:34 pm
to have a dealership install a new mount? Anyone know about??
Very rough guess
Boxsterra - Tuesday, 27 September, 2011, at 6:26:38 pm
The part is about $175 and book time is 2.4 hours.

If you do it yourself, the part is $120 and it takes about 45 minutes. smiling smiley
Re: Very rough guess
ericp - Wednesday, 28 September, 2011, at 10:23:23 am
My searches on Ebay are ~$170 but still cheaper than a dealer install. I plan to do it myself as well
Try Suncoast in Sarasota ....$109.95 plus shipping *NM*
dghii - Wednesday, 28 September, 2011, at 2:36:02 pm
dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: Clunking sound passenger side rear
ericp - Tuesday, 21 February, 2012, at 9:50:40 pm
I was able to get my car into a shop today and had the motor mount repleaced. It was definitely bad, the rubber was completely separated and I was able to press out the metal part in the middel with my thumb, oy! Anyway happy it's done, annoyed they rip you off on jobs like that. Also had the serpentine belt done, there were a few chinks missing out of it. THAT is a rop-off, that is not a 2.25 hour job. Oh well, if I had the time and facilities to do this myself I would have.

-Eric
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login