Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Sport Button - How to Obtain Sport Exhaust Only
jjspike - Wednesday, 28 September, 2011, at 11:23:57 am
Good-day,

I really enjoy the sport exhaust note after activating the "Sport Mode" on my 2008 Boxster S however I am not a big fan of the re-mapped throttle. I am new to driving stick and the throttle re-mapping really messes-up my driving. Is there a way to disable the throttle re-mapping and only keep the enhanced exhaust note? When I press the button, I hear what I believe is some type of valve opening/closing in the rear of the car. Can this be done by manually rigging the valve in place?

Thanks!!
Re: Sport Button - How to Obtain Sport Exhaust Only
Mixster - Wednesday, 28 September, 2011, at 12:46:30 pm
I may be wrong, but I thought "Sport Mode" firmed the shocks, changed engine throttle response and made PASM somewhat less responsive, but did not change the exhaust note. I thought "Sport Exhaust" was a different option and not related to sport mode.

I look forward to a more definitive response from a more knowledgable board member.

Mixster
To Harvey's point, you just need to disconnect plug (and seal it as suggested) in engine compartment (on right side near TB IIRC) but I think in the Boxster it's black not orange.

Good luck and enjoy your always on exhaust smiling smiley
Hi Harvey,

is this done from the inside, top or underside of the car? Do you have links to any pictures of the plug/connector? Will this trigger any error codes?

Thanks!!
here you go...........
Harvey in FL - Wednesday, 28 September, 2011, at 8:21:22 pm
From reading up on how to make the PSE full time, there are two ways to do this. One way is to add some type of valve in the vacuum line. Suncoast Porsche has the parts. The second is to disconnect the orange connector which receives a signal from the dash board switch. I read from another blog that one guy talked to the pcar dealer about disconnecting the orange connector and was told there was no code faults ever reported by them.

The connector is on right pic with the metal hold down clip.

Need more detail, there are several options
Bobtesa - Wednesday, 28 September, 2011, at 5:52:00 pm
Spike,

I also have an 08S. I think there are 3 options that you may or may not be relevant to your situation.

1. Sport exhaust, SE
2. Porsche active suspension management, PASM
3. Sport chrono, SC

I have SE and PASM, but not SC. This could be confusing, but I will do my best and others can correct me. (Bottom line, I don't know how to disconnect anything, but I would like to set my SE to on/open all the time and was told this can not be done.)

SE and PASM do not change throttle input. That is only done with SC.

SE is only for enhance exhaust note. It does not change throtle response or suspension.
PASM is for a stiffened, flatter ride. Nothing else.
SC remaps throttle input (and other things, I think)

My configuration is two buttons (swithces) one for SE and for PASM. Each has two setfings, on or off. I can have any combination: both on, both off, or either one on. I do not know how SC is set up with these options, whether it is an independent switch or linked with the others. It sounds to me that you have all three and maybe with that set up, they are not independent.

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
Re: Need more detail, there are several options
jjspike - Wednesday, 28 September, 2011, at 6:23:34 pm
I have the Sport Chrono and do not have PASM. There is a "Sport Mode" button that remaps throttle and changes exhaust note. I also have a spolier and PSM (stability control?) button.

Thank you!!
Bobtesa - Wednesday, 28 September, 2011, at 6:36:59 pm
I have a Porsche Stability Management (PSM) also and it is a separate switch. PSM is now standard, it used to be an option. I think, but am not sure, that getting the PSM button only lets you turn it off. W/o this option it is always on (as it should be). I'd suggest that you always leave it on unless you are an advanced driver and then only doing DE.

The spoiler button has nothing to do with any of these other things. It just provides downdraft at high speeds.

It sounds like you have sport exhaust and sport chrono. Maybe with that combination, turning on sport chrono also turns on sport exhaust.
jjspike - Wednesday, 28 September, 2011, at 8:44:17 pm
The Sport Mode button is the only thing that activates the sport exhaust (along with the throttle settings).

Thanks
Then I guess your options are limited
Bobtesa - Wednesday, 28 September, 2011, at 10:24:37 pm
You can disconnect the stuff as described above or talk with your dealer about how to disable sports chrono w/o disabling SE. Whatever you do, make sure that you or your dealer can reverse whatever you do. The next owner may want the sport chrono throttle mapping and expect it work as advertised.

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login