Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I have a 2001 Boxster S 6 Speed manual. I wanted to use all OEM fluids, but it seems that nobody carries them. I can get the OEM stuff from the dealer, but it's $40/litre for the brake fluid, and $45/litre for the transaxle (I think I need 3). Should I go to the dealer? Or is there an online place that is cheaper? I keep seeing ATE brake fluid for Porsches, should I just use that? Is it fully compatible with the OEM stuff?
As far as the transaxle fluid, I can't find that anywhere other than the dealer. Any ideas?
brakes?
Cris - Monday, 3 October, 2011, at 5:27:01 pm
If you don't track/DE your car, you can go with any DOT-4 fluid. I have used Valvoline synethic DOT-4 fluid (blue bottle) from Autozone/pepboys. It's relatively inexpensive, easy to find and one bottle does the job. As long as you change the fluid within 24 months cycle, you will be fine. If you do track/DE, change your fluid once a year (or more depending on how often you DE) and you should then go with Motul 600, ATE (reasonably priced) or Castol SRF (very pricey stuff).
a comment......
por911(bc) - Monday, 3 October, 2011, at 6:09:32 pm
You might try Suncoast Motorsports Porsche in FL, I believe they sell the manual trans gearbox oil at a discount(ie $28 per). It is the only stuff I've found that really works in these gearboxes properly, as it should. I would also recommend Pentosin DOT4 for the brake fluid, which be had through multiple distributors, Suncoast might carry that as well.
regards
As you may know, I'm not one to ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 3 October, 2011, at 8:56:43 pm
... exclusively use Porsche-branded (and more expensive) products when there are other reasonably priced equivalents.
For the transaxle I have put in my car Swepco 201. I replaced the tranny fluid at 90,000, 150,000 and 200,000 miles and the tranny is still original and with no issues.
My car is now at 211,000 miles.
For brake/clutch fluid I use ATE Gold or Blue alternating between them. ATE is a good DOT fluid that you can purchase for $15/liter. All you need is 1 liter.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: As you may know, I'm not one to ...
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Monday, 3 October, 2011, at 10:30:48 pm
I went with the Fuchs offering from Pelican Parts.Changed at the fluid at 90k, now I'm at 106k, I still enjoy the smoother shifting I noticed after the transfusion. At ~$13 a quart it's a bargain. I also rotate between ATE Blue & Gold using the Motiv Speed Bleeder

up4speed - Tuesday, 4 October, 2011, at 2:26:13 pm
Is the ATE blue/gold fully compatible with the OEM brake fluid? Or do I have to get out every drop? I am also using the Motiv power bleeder. How many Litres of fluid will I need for a complete change?
Does anyone know how much transaxle fluid I will need for my 2001 Boxster S 6speed manual? Thanks again!
ATE Brake fluid is...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 4 October, 2011, at 2:45:10 pm
... fully compatible with the OEM fluid.
It takes just under (1) one liter to flush the calipers and the clutch.
The 6 speed manual tranny requires 2.27 liters of transaxle oil.
The 5 speeds requires 2.25 liters.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Re: ATE Brake fluid is...
up4speed - Tuesday, 4 October, 2011, at 10:23:18 pm
Pedro (Weston, FL)
... fully compatible with the OEM fluid.
It takes just under (1) one liter to flush the calipers and the clutch.
The 6 speed manual tranny requires 2.27 liters of transaxle oil.
The 5 speeds requires 2.25 liters.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Thanks Pedro, but now you added a little more confusion to the mix! You said Brakes AND CLUTCH. Do they share a master cylinder? Do I have a seperate flush to do? If they are the same master cylinder, I would imagine that I only need to open a bleed screw on the clutch after the Motive bleeder is pressurized, correct? If so, where is the clutch bleeder? If it's not too much trouble can you please let me know the procedure, so I don't screw anything up?

Boxster Bob, thankfully santa delivered a lift to my garage last year, so this kind of work turned fun. It used to be miserable working on my back!......I hope I didn't take the lift that was intended for you?winking smiley
If you go to ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 4 October, 2011, at 11:48:30 pm
... my website, in the DIY Projects section, it's all spelled out:

[www.pedrosgarage.com]

Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2011 11:56PM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
Re: If you go to ...
up4speed - Wednesday, 5 October, 2011, at 5:16:21 pm
Wow, very nice write up, thanks! So basically the brakes and clutch, share the same fluid resevoir, correct?
It looks like it will be a very easy job for me with the lift, and the power bleeder.
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Tuesday, 4 October, 2011, at 9:45:49 pm
I believe the Blue and Gold are the same formula, just a different dye to let you know when you've fully run the previous fluid through the lines.

I bought 3 qts of tranny fluid for my '99. Alden at Flintworks did the swap as it didn't look like a pleasant job done on your back and Santa has yet to deliver the lift I've been asking for.
Correct. DOT 5 is incompatible. DOT 5.1 is totally different.
grant - Saturday, 8 October, 2011, at 12:03:17 pm
DOT 5 is silicone based. DOT 3,4 5.1 (five decimal one) are glycol based.
grant
.. and by testing/law.

Grant

I was under the impression that if you had Dot 3 OR 4 in the vehicle, then added Dot 5 to it (without a complete flush) you would have corrosion issues in your brake system. Is that a myth?
3,4,4+,5.1 are all glycol

5.nuthing is the oddball - don't use it ever
+1 on Suncoast for gear oil.
dghii - Monday, 3 October, 2011, at 10:19:14 pm
I considered the Swepco 201 but given I have to pay for shipping regard 4less, the Porsche gearbox fluid was about the same $$.

Agreed that any DOT 4 brake fluid will suffice.

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
the fluid. Around $48/liter and it takes 3 (2.8l IIRC). Yeah, a bit pricey for the fluid but every 60K to 90K miles not a biggie. Oh, labor to change the fluid was 0.3 hours.

I've done the brakes and clutch fluid flush/bleed a couple of times myself but the last few times I've had this done at the dealer service department too. Easier for me to have this done say at the same time the car's in for something else vs. having to go to all the trouble to do it myself. I don't end up with half used cans of transmission and brake fluids that I have to worry about.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Look around.
grant - Thursday, 6 October, 2011, at 10:20:03 pm
Porsche gear oil is expensive. $40 sounds normal. I wont say "right".

You can use Audi manual tranny fluid (same stuff). Or call Redline and see what is their exact cross-reference.

Porsche uses (reputedly) ate super 200 brake fluid. If you do not track your car Castrol GT-LMA may be a better choice since it absorbs water more slowly. About $10/L at most local parts stores, including NAPA. Or pentosin DOT4+. For street cars any DOT4 fluid is fine.

I use ate super 200 in my track car (Boxster) and GT-LMA in everything else, including an Audi S6 that sees light autoX and track duty.

Want even better fluid? Change it more often.

Grant
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login