Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
What are folks using for 16" Winter tires?
RainyDayGarage - Tuesday, 4 October, 2011, at 7:30:30 am
We have Bizzarks now and have been pretty happy driving on them in New England , but thought it wouldn't hurt to get other recommendations.

Went onto Tire Rack yesterday to find some 16" Winter tires for the Boxster as our set is due for replacement this season. Unfortunately, they had no 16" recommendations.
Re: What are folks using for 16" Winter tires?
tom coughlin - Tuesday, 4 October, 2011, at 9:31:29 am
I've got 17" dunlops which came maybe 4 years ago with the rims (so I didn't choose the tire). They've been fine in our wonderful Boston weather, but I have no means of comparison to other winter tires. I hope that helps, Tom
Petee_C - Tuesday, 4 October, 2011, at 1:21:23 pm
I don't run my Boxster in the Winter, but I have been running winter tires now since my 1st car in 1995. Blizzaks were the 1st winter's I ran back in 1995. They were good, but the technology is probably 20yrs old, and they are still charging a premium for it. I have run Toyo Observ tires and Michelin Alpins on my Jetta. We have 2 sets of winters for my wife's CRV. One is Cooper winters - with 2 seasons on them - we were given them when my sister in law traded in her vehicle, the other ones are Michelin Alpin tires with probably 5 seasons on them.

I am thinking that for winter tires, the price difference doesn't equate performance difference in everyday winter driving.

I have a 25mile commute, and in the mornings, the roads are often frozen and snowswept. The afternoon commute, the snow usually melts from the sun, and is not as slippery.

I might get new winters for my Jetta, as the Alpins on them are probably 5-6 seasons old. I may go for a cheap off-brand.

P
It's all about priorities
Boxsterra - Tuesday, 4 October, 2011, at 6:27:58 pm
Blizzaks - can drive up the side of a block of ice, super mushy feeling in the dry
Dunlop WinterSport - good performance in the dry, won't make it up some slushy hills

I'd like to find something in between.

On the TireRack website, try entering the tire sizes in independently. Sometimes it doesn't work if you put int the whole car. And there are multiple size options. Also, don't forget to always purchase using the PB link.
gedwin - Wednesday, 5 October, 2011, at 11:05:57 am
I used the Conti DWS 16's last winter with great results in NJ on my 2001. Actually selling them with the 16" wheels because they won't fit the new Boxster. I guess I will learn this year how well 18's do in snow...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login