Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Coolant on driveway - self induced?
jjspike - Friday, 7 October, 2011, at 5:00:53 pm
Hey all,

I was interested in checking the coolant level of my 2008 Boxster S. Approximately an hour following a long drive, I SLOWLY removed the coolant cap and noticed a whoosh followed by a gurgling sound. I re-tightened the cap, waited for a few seconds and slowly removed the cap again - same thing. After a few seconds, the gurgling stopped and I fully removed the cap. The coolant level was bang-on at MAX. I then drove the car into the garage and noticed a small puddle of coolant where the car was. I went into panic as I had though I had a leak. Upon further investigation, I noticed that there is some sort of tube leading from the coolant filler cap area. Would the slow removal of the cap cause coolant to dump into this tube and then onto the ground? Would this not dump into a coolant coolant collection tank? Should I be worried?

I checked the level as I have noticed a coolant smell coming from the engine area for some time however I have not noticed a drop in the level when the engine was cold. When cold, the coolant level has always remained slightly over the MIN point. Could it be that the coolant collection tank is full and slightly overflowing when the engine gets up to temperature? I have found articles regarding the 986 coolant tank but none for the 987 models.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have locked her up until I figure this out!

Cheers!!
It probably burped and you saw the overflow. Even a little residual heat might be responsible.
Was the engine compartment cooling fan running when you turned it off? That would take quite a while to cool down.

Why not check the coolant level through the sight level in the trunk? That would eliminate the risk of getting scalded by hot coolant.
The engine was hot (125) however I do not think the fans were on at shutdown. There is a visual coolant level indicator in the trunk??? I was under the impression that you had to remove the cap to check the level.

Cheers!
jjspike
The engine was hot (125) however I do not think the fans were on at shutdown. There is a visual coolant level indicator in the trunk??? I was under the impression that you had to remove the cap to check the level.

Cheers!

I know that is a "clear" plastic part showing in the trunk on the 06. I'm not sure about the 08. I'm sure there must be some way of checking the coolant level without having to remove the cap. What does it say in the owners manual?
Hmmm, unfortunately there is noting such as this on the 08. I just checked the manual and you must wait until the engine cools and then remove the cap. The coolant level must be between the MIN and MIX "floats" within the filler tube.

Cheers!
jjspike
Hmmm, unfortunately there is noting such as this on the 08. I just checked the manual and you must wait until the engine cools and then remove the cap. The coolant level must be between the MIN and MIX "floats" within the filler tube.

Cheers!

Ah yes. I seem to remember that in 07 or 08 they moved the oil and coolant fillers into a recess of the trunk to give more trunk space. I guess the answer than is to check coolant only with the engine cold.
I figured it was good that there was pressure after an hour. I took a closer look under the car and noticed coolant behind the engine - on the right wheel drive shaft and on the U-shaped brace under the transmission. Logic would dictate that this is a good sign however I am no expert.

Cheers!
I left it overnight and just checked again this morning and there was a slight release in pressure release. The coolant level was about .75" above the MIN mark and there was no fluid beneath the car. Looks like the removal of the cap when the engine is hot/warm causes the loss of coolant from the little hole that hangs off the top of the filler tube. Can anyone confirm my theory?

Cheers!
jjspike
I left it overnight and just checked again this morning and there was a slight release in pressure release. The coolant level was about .75" above the MIN mark and there was no fluid beneath the car. Looks like the removal of the cap when the engine is hot/warm causes the loss of coolant from the little hole that hangs off the top of the filler tube. Can anyone confirm my theory?

Cheers!

Since liquids expand, the coolant level when warm / hot will read higher than when cold. That's why hot coolant can bubble/boil over and scald you. If you're almost at minimum (probably because of what you lost), I'd add a cup of distilled water - enough to bring it about half way between min & max. There are almost 6 gallons of coolant in the system, so a cup or so isn't going to water it down by any significant amount.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2011 09:36AM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login