Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
First, i was startled! not to find a how to on PedrosGarage.com :-)

Fortunately, there is still an excellent one on Sklyer's pages, plus several video versions on YouTube.

I wont repeat. I'll jsut editorialize.

1. Its fussy, but not that hard. Lots of stuff to dis-assemble though, so end-to-end, including jacking, putting on blocks (to remove wheels to gain access to wheel wells) etc, etc took me two hours elapsed. I went slowly and carefully. I do find it easier to jack the car not only to gain access to the wheel-wells, but also so you have more room to work under the front of the car. 9 torx and 6 phillips screws are down there.

2. There are LOTS of bolts to find. not one write up identified all of them :-) Did i mention there's a lot of stuff to dis-assemble?

3. Removal of that big piece, and getting it back in place, was vastly easier than expected. Just the belly pan on my Audi takes 20 minutes of wrestling and cursing, and nothing lines up. This took maybe 5 minutes and i have no idea how it lined up so well.

4. There was a lot of crud in there. But not so much as most will make you believe. I expect this has to do with where you drive, and how its stored. Mine had 43k miles. All sorts of driving. Much track (relatively speaking).

5. while you have it apart and int he air, lubricate the hook mechanism, look over the front end, and bleed your brakes. Brake bleeding added maybe 7 minutes (with motive)

6. You will require a flat screwdriver, two torx's (T27 and T-25?) and a Phillips. You'll also need to get behind the wheel well liner to get one Phillips screw that goes up though the bumper cover, into a metal lip. very easy and very inconvenient. Bad Porsche.

Grant
The amount of trash can be considerable. I have pics...
MarcW - Monday, 10 October, 2011, at 2:06:54 pm
of at least two cleanings. 'course, I probably covered twice that 43K miles you've covered between cleanings of my car's radiators.

As for the fasteners... My direct experience and second-hand info is that the number of fasteners, their locations and type vary some from year to year. I used Skyler's excellent write up when I first did my 02's ducts and found differences but they are the differences between his '99 (IIRC) and my '02.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
The reason it isn't on PedrosGarage...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 10 October, 2011, at 4:41:37 pm
... is because it is on Skyler's website.
Mike did a great writeup, so mine wasn't needed.
Maybe one of these days I'll do one for the newer cars.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
By newer, you mean 987? *NM*
grant - Monday, 10 October, 2011, at 7:36:01 pm
Yup smiling smiley *NM*
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 10 October, 2011, at 10:40:24 pm
Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
is re-route the emergency front hood release to behind the tow hook cover.
great idea. Now you tell me :-) *NM*
grant - Tuesday, 11 October, 2011, at 12:02:56 pm
I've done it, and I have never removed the whole cover. I can't remember when I did it...but I think it's not so involved.
I wish I'd have done mine outside on the driveway rather than inside my garage. I could see there was some crud on the A/C and radiator fins beyond the loose debris, insect bodies, feathers, etc that were on the facing of each coil. But because I was in the garage I didn't want to make a big mess with a full blown coil cleaning using the garden hose and I was too lazy to put the wheels back on and lower the car off the jackstands to move it outside. When I do it again in the spring I'll do it outside and get some HVAC coil cleaner.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login