Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
The way it should have come from the factory...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 12 October, 2011, at 5:41:23 pm
... I've always thought that the Boxster/Cayman got shortchanged by Porsche in various topics but in particular in the gauge department when compared with the 911.
So, I decided to remedy one of those shortcomings.

First I had to relocate my A/C control, so I pulled it out of the top of the center console...

[i83.photobucket.com]

... and installed it at the very bottom, as it came on the '02s.

[i83.photobucket.com]

I then made a faceplate from an old, broken underpanel which I cut to size ...

[i83.photobucket.com]

... and then drilled three 2" holes for the gauges

[i83.photobucket.com]

I thought the plastic would look cheap in the background, so I TechnoLeathered it

[i83.photobucket.com]

I then mounted the gauges and installed the final trim

[i83.photobucket.com]

and this is how the whole console now looks

[i83.photobucket.com]

If you look closely you'll se that there are 2 oil pressure gauges on the ends, and an oil temperature gauge in the middle.
The reason for is is that the left oil pressure gauge reads the Accusump's pressure
The one on the right reads actual engine oil pressure
The one in the center reads engine oil temp.

While at the track, with one quick glance I can determine if everything is OK or not regarding oil.

I have worked out a deal with the gauge manufacturer, so in the next few weeks I'll put together several packages of one, two, three or more gauges.
These are proudly made in the USA and the prices are really good for this quality of gauges.
They will be available for just about any parameter you want to monitor (pressure, temperature, voltage, vacuum, stoichiometric point, boost, etc.)
You can also get them with Aluminum, Chrome or Black Bezel, and White, Silver or Black Face to match you OEM gauge cluster.
They are electric gauges with precision stepper motors moving the needles up to 270 degrees, and come with their corresponding sensor which gets mounted on the component you want to read.
The connection is a simple multi-strand wire between the sensor and the gauge.
They also have a min and max reseatable memory and can be programmed for either white or amber backlight. The amber matches perfectly with the car's other gauges.
More pictures as soon as everything is connected.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2011 05:44PM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
Really cool Pedro! *NM*
DougW - Wednesday, 12 October, 2011, at 7:34:13 pm
NICE!
grant - Wednesday, 12 October, 2011, at 9:27:00 pm
now there's a useful hack.

Nicely executed.

Grant
Looks great.
Trygve (San Francisco, CA) - Thursday, 13 October, 2011, at 12:21:02 am
I may want to install on the Spec Boxster, especially if I get an Accusump.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login