Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
For our soon-to-be hibernators ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 19 October, 2011, at 10:16:52 am

... here's an article that you may find useful.

[www.pedrosgarage.com]

Happy Porsche-ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Porsche cars are made of galvanized steel / aluminum and won't rust, they have a heater and windshield wipers. So why worry?

I am from Minneapolis Minnesota, known for its severe winters. Back in the day I drove my 62 Austin Healey MK III all year around. I do remember having some difficulty turning the Austin Healey steering wheel after driving down a freeway for awhile when it was 35 degrees below zero. The grease in the steering box stiffened up and I had to slow down to where the engine heat could warm it up.

These days when it does snow and you are worried about traction many people can just tele-commute or if you were planning to store your Boxster you obviously have another ride with 4WD that you can use on those bad days.

I say don't store your Boxsters, just leave them at home during blizzards.

Jeff Benson:

2016 Boxster, See it here: www.greatvalleyhouse.com/Boxster

First car: 1952 Hudson Hornet

First roadster: 1962 Austin Healy 3000 III

Still have: Computer free 1974 MGB

Previous Porsches since 1982: 924, 944, 944S, and four Boxsters; 97, 03, 08 & 2012
Jeff...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 19 October, 2011, at 5:55:33 pm
... you're preaching to the choir on this one.
When I lived in MO, I drove mine year round.
The article is meant for those who chose to store it.
I'm not trying to promote storing, but if you chose to do so, then the article covers the bases.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

It really doesn't take all that long to get the car ready for winter, Jeff.

Things like washing and waxing the car take the longest amount of time and would be done on a routine basis (by me at least). The rest of it only takes about an hour.

I just know what the salt and sand does to the other parts, like brakes, suspension and exhaust system. That's why I choose to hibernate my Boxster.

I agree with you that it is a great car to drive in the snow.

On the other hand, come April, it's like getting a new car all over again.
of course the boxster is driveable in the winter but there were many reasons i never drove mine in the winter.
1- i wear heavy jackets in the winter, tend to get into the car and then take them off and throw them in the back seat. not practical in the boxster especially if you're two.
2- i can't drive the boxster the way i like driving it so what's the point?
3- when it's snowing or raining, visibility is worse and the boxster is smaller thus less visible and your chances of somebody not seeing you are higher. i'd rather be in a larger car in that case.
4- driving the X5 was not exactly slumming it. no, it's not a convertible sports car, but it is fun to drive, especially when the conditions are really bad.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
I always enjoyed driving in the winter.
My car was ordered with heated seats and it was a blast to drive on a sunny day with the top down and the heater and seat warmers on.
When it go really cold a group of us would get together to flood an abandoned K-Mart parking lot and then we'd set up cones and AX on the ice for a couple of months.
I really never took it out in the slush or on the salted roads.
BTW, AXing on ice with summer tires really teaches you to drive with finesse and control.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Pedro (Weston, FL)

I really never took it out in the slush or on the salted roads.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

That's the exact reason why the CURVEN8R goes into hibernation. In our part of Ontario, it's salt and slush on the roads from roughly middle of December to the end of March.
Great info Pedro
DougW - Wednesday, 19 October, 2011, at 6:36:50 pm
Hopefully we can still get another few weeks of driving without the white stuff here in SW Ontario before we have to follow your instructions
Just a couple of other things that I do, Pedro
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 19 October, 2011, at 7:53:21 pm
I drive my car up on 1" think pieces of styrofoam to get the rubber off the concrete. It also tends to "cradle" the tires. I've never had a flat spot in Spring.

I also put wood blocks (actually cut like door stops) behind the tires so I can leave the car in neutral and the hand brake released. just to keep all the tension off cables the clutch.

I've plugged in my battery maintainer through the lighter socket and my battery has been fine so far for the first 5 winters.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login