Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
What are these oily engine parts?
DFW02S - Thursday, 20 October, 2011, at 2:02:49 pm
First, thanks for any help you might provide. I don't have a detailed drawing to reference.

The 1st oily part shown below is in the top of the engine compartment, just about in the middle of the car, just behind your right shoulder if driving. Directly below it, maybe 18" is a spot where the oil has dropped and then likely run down to the bottom of the engine, right in the middle of the car. The part looks like part of the air intake system from above the engine.

The second is located about 12" to the right of the first and 5" lower. It's about directly behind your left should if driving.
It seems to have burped up a little oil on to the back of the aluminum engine cover form the passenger compartment as shown in pic 3.

Re: What are these oily engine parts?
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Thursday, 20 October, 2011, at 4:00:25 pm
Have you looked at your CV boots? Might it be grease thrown from a revolving half shaft joint?
Thanks, just checked and they're clean. *NM*
DFW02S - Thursday, 20 October, 2011, at 4:35:39 pm
that second picture...
Steve (Morro Bay) - Thursday, 20 October, 2011, at 6:34:23 pm
...reminds me of what I took for an overflow tube described in my AOS post a while back [pedrosboard.com] . Is it the same? I never did figure out what it was.
Power steering fluid, perhaps
Boxsterra - Friday, 21 October, 2011, at 6:51:04 pm
The power steering reservoir can leak in several different ways. I would check for a concentration in that area and also check your level (make sure the car is on level ground and cold first).
Good tip, thx! *NM*
DFW02S - Friday, 21 October, 2011, at 7:20:27 pm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login