Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
New front motor mount, WOW...
Kermit In Cleveland - Friday, 21 October, 2011, at 2:03:25 pm
I finally got the nerve up to get under the car and replace my front motor mount. While I was under there, I also replaced the spark plugs and did an oil change. It's like driving a whole new car. The vibration at 3000 RPMs is 99% gone. I think it's barely perceptible whereas before I almost didn't want to drive it. I think I drove for 6 months avoiding 3000 RPMs as much as possible. I did a lot of freeway driving in 4th and sometimes 5th gear. Now, It drives a lot smoother and shifting feels better too. And surprisingly, the motor mount didn't look as bad as it felt. The rubber inside was worn and cracked but still present.

The car idle seems better too. I'm not sure how old my spark plugs were. I didn't think they looked too bad and there wasn't any oil collecting in the tubes. Tomorrow, I'll change the air filters and the serpentine belt. The Boxster is really pretty easy to work on. I've probably spent about $500 on tools in the past 10 years but I probably recouped that cost in just replacing the brake pads and rotors a couple of times. Without the great resources like Pedro's DIY's, Wayne's 101 Projects book and the Bentley service manual, I would never have attempted any of these projects.

A couple learn from fails from these projects. #1 don't leave the lug nut key on the wheel when you do a test drive around the block. Thankfully, it didn't fall off. I had tightened the bolts on the wheel but hadn't torqued them yet. Then I lowered the car and started it to see if my CEL went away (see LMF #2). Car ran fine, so I figured I would drive around the block forgetting that I hadn't torqued the bolts.

LMF #2 - I didn't make sure that the spark plug connectors were attached to the coils securely. This morning I had to take the wheel off on the passenger side and check the connections since I was getting a P301 code last night. I found that 2 of the 3 connectors weren't locked on the coils. I need to check the driver's side too but drove it to work anyway.

I still have more projects to do but I'll probably wait until spring. I have a small oil leak on the driver's side and I've been getting P1128 and P1130 codes. I'm guessing the AOS is starting to fail. I don't have any smoke or extreme suction from the oil cap though. Also, the outer CV boot on the driver's side is torn. I need to take care of that before too much longer.

And finally, maybe next year, I'll have the IMS bearing and clutch replaced. The engine has 75k (replaced at 47k under warranty) on it and the clutch has 123k. I'd like to get another 125k out of my Boxster but I'd really be happy with another 5 years and 50k miles.

Kermit
2000 S 123k miles
Re: New front motor mount, WOW...
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Saturday, 22 October, 2011, at 11:33:34 am
Did you use Pedro's mount or OEM?
OEM *NM*
Kermit In Cleveland - Monday, 24 October, 2011, at 11:08:46 am
Pedro doesn't ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 24 October, 2011, at 6:34:31 pm
... offer the TechnoMount anymore.
It had to be discontinued a few months ago because people did not return their cores as they agreed.
When new orders were being placed and we couldn't deliver because we had no cores, those ordering would get upset at me.
So it was discontinued.
I now only make them for racing and to order.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Pedro doesn't ...
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Friday, 28 October, 2011, at 3:32:08 pm
That's sad, I would have thought better of the P-Car community. sad smiley It's a shame that a better than OEM product is discontinued due lack of respect.

Did you consider adding a "core charge"?
Re: Pedro doesn't ...
SPG356 - Friday, 28 October, 2011, at 8:42:52 pm
BoxsterBob - San Carlos
Did you consider adding a "core charge"?

Bob,

He did have a core charge which makes it even more astounding that he would not get them back.

I snoozed (put it off for a couple of months) and when I went to place my order for one, it was NLA.

Even though I missed out, thanks Pedro for trying to do the right thing!!

We have all heard the saying "no good deed goes un-punished"

Regards,

Sebastian
I did the same!
Sheriff John - Saturday, 22 October, 2011, at 7:20:31 pm
I drove way too long on a bad motor mount and said the exact same thing you did!

Wow, why did I wait so long?? Ha, ha

SJ
Same here...
dghii - Saturday, 22 October, 2011, at 10:54:40 pm
Did the work on a 98 Boxster that I was recently sold. When I bought the car, I noticed the vibration at about 2500 rpm. I also thought the car had a bit of a rough idle. Both issues solved with the motor mount R/R.

I had read about it on this board and other but was truly amazed at the difference it made.

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
Re: New front motor mount, WOW...
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Sunday, 23 October, 2011, at 12:07:35 pm
I had mine done at ~40k under warranty, it was noticeable.
a comment.....
por911(bc) - Tuesday, 25 October, 2011, at 10:54:14 am
We found a similar result when I replaced both the motor and trans mounts. I replaced ours at about 50k, and they were all shot. The difference afterwards was striking. Congrats, that is quite a handful of work. You might consider replacing the AOS, I found the newer version is greatly improved over the originals that were installed from the factory.
regards
If you replace with an OEM motor mount
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Friday, 28 October, 2011, at 8:29:44 pm
consider retrieving the old one from the dealer/mechanic and sending it to Pedro. Ask your mechanic in advance to save the part for you. It is your right in most states.
the new factory mounts, frm the cayman S,
grant - Saturday, 29 October, 2011, at 11:03:44 am
are much more robust than the originals. Actually, i wish I had one. They still isolate fairly well.

Mine buzzes like crazy a bit over 3k rpms. OTOH its great on the track - much better location of the drivetrain.

Grant

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2011 11:04AM by grant. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login