Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
It seems like this is an not uncommon problem.

I did the 60k service on my 2001 Boxster S a couple of weekends ago (replacing the main serpentine belt meant removing the seats and disconnecting the wiring harness under the seat) and now I have an airbag warning light that will not go out.

I cleaned the contacts with electrical contact cleaner and reconnected them but no joy.

So am I right that it can only be reset with an expensive diagnostic tool that the dealer has?
Any ballpark on what they might charge me for this "service"?

I am going in on Friday AM to get an alignment ($200) and I thought I might hit them up for it then.

cheers,
Stefan in Seattle
true
Trygve (San Francisco, CA) - Thursday, 27 October, 2011, at 3:48:02 am
Once the light comes on, it can only be reset with a Durametric device or with the dealer's tool. I'd hope they'd do it for free, since you are getting other service done and it's literally a two-minute procedure to plug in the computer and click "reset airbag light".

The way to avoid triggering the light in the first place is to make sure the key is not in the ignition while the seat is unplugged.
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Yes - cost me $60 or 1/2 hour labor
MarknearChicago - Thursday, 27 October, 2011, at 10:49:52 pm
Happened a bunch of years ago to my old 1997 Box. If you take out the seat and disconnect the wiring DO NOT turn the ignition on.
Related Question.
p-wagen - Thursday, 27 October, 2011, at 11:18:18 pm
When removing the seat and disconnecting the wiring (with key not in the ignition), is it necessary to disconnect the battery?
No *NM*
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 27 October, 2011, at 11:26:21 pm
Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Yes - cost me $60 or 1/2 hour labor
artandscience - Monday, 31 October, 2011, at 4:31:27 pm
Yep.. that was it. Dealer didn't charge me anything to fix it (got it done the same time as an alignment).

Been a couple of days and it hasn't come on again so I'm quite sure it was my running the motor with the seats out that did it.

cheers,
S.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login