Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I've been hit....
Al in Melbourne Beach - Thursday, 27 October, 2011, at 6:24:02 pm
I came out from work this afternoon in kind of a hurry to get to an appointment, and as I walked to the car I noticed the spoiler was up. My recent driving has been at around 45 mph, maximum, so I thought it was curious, but I had pulled the fuse panel cover chasing another problem, so I assumed my foot pressed the spoiler switch while driving.

At least until I came out from my appointment and noticed some deep vertical scratches in about the center of my rear bumper and marks on the left bumper guard. The bumper scratches are quite deep, through the clear coat, color coat, and primer and there are a couple of small gouges nearby. Apparently someone backed into my car (no excuse, WIDE lanes in this lot) and drove off without a thought. Maybe they didn't notice, there doesn't appear to be any deformation of the bumper.

So, the question is, would a relatively minor impact on the center of the bumper cause the spoiler to deploy?

And on the original problem, neither mirror will move in either axis. The fuse is good because everything else the manual says is on the mirror fuse works. Anyone have any experience with anything like this?
Re: I've been hit....
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 27 October, 2011, at 6:49:12 pm
Sorry to hear that Al.
I don't think that the spoiler was deployed by the impact on the rear bumper.
Most likely you had touched the switch when you were opening the fuse box.
If neither mirror works and the fuse is OK the next piece I'd check is the switch and its connections.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
I guess it is possible that I just didn't notice the spoiler was up, either when I got out of the car this morning or when I came back from lunch, and I do remember feeling like my foot hit something, but it sure was obvious tonight, both when coming up to the car from the rear and when looking at it from standing at the drivers door.

I guess this is just one of life's little mysteries.

The scratches are not nearly as noticeable at the house as they were at the barber's; I guess the light was just right. It will more than likely take a bumper repaint, but I'm going to do a few stone chips and a light scratch with Dr. Color Chip, so I may try it on the bumper before giving in to a total repaint.

Thanks for the suggestions.....

Al
jpv42 - Friday, 28 October, 2011, at 2:08:43 am
When I got to my car Sunday morning of the Rennsport Reunion I had been side swiped sometime in the night. Note? You have to be kidding.
Alcantera - Saturday, 29 October, 2011, at 8:11:04 am
Al, this may not fix your mirrors but its worth a check. I did a repair of my window actuator recently and after my mirrors did not seem to work. I was complaining to my wife while driving that my mirror was no longer adjusting. My wife noticed that her mirror was adjusting while I was adjusting mine. .It took a moment but then we figured it out. When I put the switch back in the door I inverted it !!! it fit and worked perfectly just great except left controlled right and right left. smoking smiley
That was the UK configuration. *NM*
Laz - Saturday, 29 October, 2011, at 10:14:50 am
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Eric (Plug Guy) - Saturday, 29 October, 2011, at 9:20:21 am
Any chance your parking area has cameras?
Gary in SoFL - Saturday, 29 October, 2011, at 10:56:56 am
Sorry to hear about it, AL. sad smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login