Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Rolex 24 Hour at Daytona?
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Tuesday, 1 November, 2011, at 6:32:10 pm
I just received an email from the Carolinas & Peachstate PCA regions about the Daytona race in January. Dianne and I are thinking about going to it. We have never been to a 24 hours race before. We will probably stay in one of the rooms reserved by the region. Any suggestions on how best to enjoy the race and getting around? Anyone on the board planning on attending?

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
Re: Rolex 24 Hour at Daytona?
Dave In MD - Tuesday, 1 November, 2011, at 10:06:43 pm
We were there last year. We stayed after the start until it got dark then got dinner and back to the hotel for sleep. Back at the track in the morning. Spent some of the time around the pits and the paddock areas. Spent some of the time in the stands. But actually one of the best areas was around the infield. The Porscheplatz has a good location to watch from. There's also an area in the infield with food, drink and trinkets.

It's a long race, but you're free to move around and you can leave in the car and return without a problem. We parked in one of the infield areas which worked out well since most of the viewing areas we liked were there.

Not planning on going this year, but I'd go again. Honestly, I think the Sebring race is more fun. I've been to a lot of races and it's unique in that the it's a party surrounded by a race. smileys with beer I also like ALMS better than Grand AM which probably plays a part in that too.

Rolex 24 last year taken close to the Platz area.

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
Re: Rolex 24 Hour at Daytona?
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Tuesday, 1 November, 2011, at 11:48:06 pm
I;d like to do the Sebring Race as well - but unfortunately, it conflicts with a fishing trip to Patagonia. Its tough work but someone's got to do it! grinning smiley

Lawdevil
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
This may help...
Motobob - Wednesday, 2 November, 2011, at 1:57:04 am
My wife and I went last year for the first time from VA and had a great time, missing a snow storm on the day of our departure and getting to 70 degree temps. I wrote a short article on it for my PCA chapter that you might find useful:

Spectator Guide to the Rolex

page 9

Also my pictures and video are here:

Pics and videos

If you watch the videos you will hooked...take ear plugs.... :-) we already have hotel reservations on the beach again; get the full three day pass and garage pass; only way to go!

Bob
Re: This may help...
Dave In MD - Wednesday, 2 November, 2011, at 7:28:20 am
Great shots and video! And good advice. We also bought the full ticket package. I was surprised I didn't see myself in any of the shots... smiling smiley Especially the one of the Boxster. I stood and talked to the driver for a long time. Had a great discussion on the proper path through the roller coaster (turns 14-15) for a Boxster at VIR.

Keep this up and I'll change my plans and see you there! smiling smiley

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
Re: This may help...
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Wednesday, 2 November, 2011, at 9:31:14 am
Wow - thanks for the very useful guide. The track should put a link to it on its website. We will definitely be there.

mike

Lawdevil
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login